Saturday, April 19, 2008

"These Are a Few of My Favorite Things"

A few months ago at our family Women's Conference we were given a family cookbook which we all contributed to and is one of my new favorite things. We also talked about what each of us does for our dinner routines, etc. Several of my aunts and cousins seem to have this completely down and they inspired me to get my act together. I've always made dinner, and I used to kind of plan out the week but for quite some time I'd gotten out of that habit. So from about 4:00 to 6:00 each day I would just have that nagging question running through my brain "what am I going to make for dinner?" I would finally decide on something only to be short one stupid tiny yet significant ingredient. Anyway, the exciting conclusion to this exciting rant is that now Monday morning before I go on my weekly shopping adventure I actually sit down and plan our meals for the week and make my shopping list. It has honestly made my life like 30% happier.

I also bought a tuna drainer that fits nicely into a can of tuna and lets you turn it over and drain ever so incidentless as opposed to pushing the jagged lid down and just before you finish having it buckle and bend causing tuna juice to run down my arm and chunks of tuna falling into the sink. Anyway I think that $3 tuna drainer has added another 5-10% of happiness.

It really makes me wonder how many other things like this there are that I'm not doing or buying and thereby making my life much harder than necessary.

What are your happy discoveries?

10 comments:

Eliza said...

totally had the same thing about the menu planning. A big breakthrough for me was just spraying my clothes with a water bottle and therefore not ironing. Another one are those pre-packaged toilet bowl cleaners, fabulous! shredded cheese-discovered in college, 98% more happy. It is not even more expensive either, I checked the per ounce price. Transformed my life! I'll try to think of more, good question.

Shannon said...

I have discovered a dinner exchange. I cannot even tell you how much this has changed my life (sorry if I already talked about this at book club because I tell everybody I know). Me and 2 other people exchange dinner every week which means that 2 days I have so much extra time, it's crazy. My grocery bill is lower and I run my dishwasher about half as much. I lvoe it and don't think I could ever live without it again!

Brynn said...

Internet coupons, and internet shopping with free shipping. I have learned how to become quite the finagler and buy 80% of my kids clothes on the internet while in my PJ's with the kids sleeping. No screaming from the tired kids or whining for a treat or rummaging through pile after pile looking for the right size, just calm relaxing retail therapy while eating ice cream and listening to itunes. Ahhhhhh 70 % happier. Ben and the budget, not so much. Plus now I have a new friend...... the UPS man.

Rebecca said...

Ange-- where did you find that tuna strainer??!! Just last week, I promised myself I would never buy bumble bee tuna again b/c when I was squeezing the water out, it went all over my face, shirt, arms, etc. I was so mad b/c i had to change! Plus, 2/3 of their can of tuna is water anyway.

Grandma W said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading all these tips.

Yes, the tuna strainer is a "must" for every kitchen. I had to laugh that for years we all have dealt with the jagged lids and smelling like a tuna. I purchased mine at the grocery store.

I have a "One Touch" jar opener that handles all size jars with precision. It opens the toughest jars too. The best $19.95 I ever spent over the Internet.

I also am on good terms with my UPS man. Ha Ha grandma wright

Andrea W. said...

Lize, does your water technique just work on knit type of clothes? Also, the grated cheese, my kids, well Anna, thinks it's gross when it comes that way. Awesome, huh?

Shannon, so I would think the grocery bill would stay the same given that you are providing dinner for 2 other families right?

Brynnie, you need to come to the next family womens' conference and teach us all your tricks. I don't get how you get free shipping? I have a lot to learn!

Rebecca, I will find you one and send it with my Mom, it seriously is the best thing. Your experience made me laugh only because I've sooooo been there and feel your pain!

Janet, so a "jar" opener? It actually opens jars? I will be looking into this!

Macy said...

I was actually going to say the internet shopping thing too, Brynn. I do alot of it, and I have also found ways to find all the coupons and the free shipping. It has made my life so much easier than trucking my 3 kids to the mall all the time.

These are interesting tid bits from all of you though, and I know I have more...I will be thinking.

Greg said...

Ange, don't wonder what could make your life easier. Just call your mom...she already has them. I cannot understand how she finds things or becomes aware of them. She has this sense about convenience-making implements.

Captain Awesome said...

That little door thingy I bought Mom and Dad that allows you to kick it and the door sticks, staying open. So great for the door from the garage to the house when you're carrying in groceries.

The thing that you put on the toothpaste that squeezes it out. Amazing.

Electronic toothbrush.

Bobbi said...

Ange, I plan my menus ahead too--but just recently started doing 2 weeks instead of just one. It's great!

I have found the occassional $1-5 shipping (and no limit on how much you buy) with online places like old navy, and Kohls but never free shipping. I'd love the scoop on that one!

Where'd you get the tuna strainer??