Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Better Late Than Never?

I DREAD Tuesdays. I have this whole year, they are horrible. It seems like I'm always supposed to be in 1,326 places at once on Tuesdays which though it's crazy I have to admit in some ways it's nice to have most things on one day and then my other days a little bit more relaxed. However, the craziness of the day makes the real reason I dread Tuesdays even worse. Anna has ballet on Tuesdays. When she gets home from school we can look forward to something like this:

Me: "Hi girls, how was school? Anna, I need you to get ready for ballet so you won't be late."

Anna: "WHY DID YOU SIGN ME UP FOR BALLET???? I HATE ballet!!!!!

Me: "Honey, do we really have to have this conversation every single Tuesday? At some point can we just go with the fact that yes I signed you up and I believe we talked about it and you believe we didn't because I'm trying to ruin your life and that either way you're going to finish out this year and after your recital neither one of us will even say the word 'ballet'?"

Anna: "I'm not going."

Me: "That's fine, but you won't have any privileges all week."

Anna: "But I'm supposed to play with Chloe tomorrow!!!!!"

Me: "Then go get ready for ballet."

Anna: "OOOOOOHHHHH! I HATE ballet!!!! Why did you sign me up? (stomping down the stairs)

After 7 months of the above my dear child walked in yesterday after ballet and casually says to me, "Mom, can I take ballet next year?"

Are you kidding me? I know I should feel happy that she's finally seeing the light but instead I feel like this kid has some nerve!

9 comments:

Eliza said...

wow that would drive me mental! although for some odd reason I felt the same way. Even the adult ballet classes I took awhile ago I always dreaded going but once I got there i loved it, weird. you need to record her saying that she wants to take and then next year when she complains you'll have proof!

Ryan@dontdodumbthings.com said...

I had the same thought as Lize- get it on tape.

Amy said...

Andrea-
Love that you are a blogger too! I will check you out more often! As I read your post today I thought, " man I am glad Jackson doesn't take ballet...that would be one more thing for him to cry about" Keep in touch

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

Good luck! If she only knew how thankful she will be for all these lessons in the future, she would just give you a big hug.

Anonymous said...

Every Thursday we do the same thing. When they get home they are a different person. I think it is a little tough to be in school all day and then just run to something else. They probably need a little more decompression time. It is tough sometimes but it is for the best usually.

christian@dontdodumbthings.com said...

Cancel her ballet lessons and use the money for a better, more practical cause like horse and whip lessons for Nate.

Macy said...

My sisters and I were the same when it came to ballet...we loved and dreaded it at the same time. I think we loved that we took, looooved to perform, but hated getting ready and getting to the class time. I think the process of getting those tights on every other day was enough to put me over the edge. But, I can honestly say we are all so glad we did it in the end.

Rebecca said...

Wow- I'd be upset- sounds like it's time for a couch talk:). I like the new template- did it work out for you?

Mandolin said...

OHHH! The frustration, I just wrote a blog on the same type of topic with Harris and the quick change of emotions! So frustrating, what is a mother to do, but fail!