Tuesday, April 15, 2008

My Boys

After Nate was sick for 7 long days, Anna got it for about 5 days. Many times I had to explain to Ben why he couldn't get too close to these two. Evidently he was listening and now when he is having a hard time and just needs some attention he comes up to me and says, "Mom, I sick."

I had to go help in Nate's class today and my sister kindly agreed to come watch Ben. She ended up having to come a little later so my sweet Dad came over to fill-in the gap. I intended to have Ben down for his nap by the time my Dad got here. Ben, however had other plans. He for some reason I'm still not clear about was really upset. Totally melted down and flat-out refused to go to bed or eat lunch or let me change his diaper. My Dad walked in and Ben went right to his outstretched arms. I left them together in the rocking chair. When I left Ben ate his lunch and went right to bed. Sigh. Very cute though seeing two of my favorite guys together. When he woke up I said, "Did Grandpa put you to bed?" Ben said, "Grandpa, here?" "No, Grandpa left." "Ahhhhwwwww!"

I mentioned before that our kids saw some of Star Wars (okay a lot. They saw a tiny bit of the newer ones that were on tv and then they saw most of the older ones) (Don't judge me I've had sick kids for weeks and so I am claiming lower standards due to being confined to the house FOREVER. Also I justify it because my parents who were very strict about what movies we saw took us to see the original Star Wars movie in the theatre and I was like 3). Anyway, I can't even begin to explain how obsessed my kids are now, especially Nate. He literally talks to me about Star Wars ALL day long. "Mom, how does Darth Vader eat with his mask on?" "Mom, does the Empire (emperor) have a light saber (sp?)" "Mom, does Princess Lia have the force?" "Mom, Ben is Yoda, and I am Luke Skywalker, who do you want to be?" The worst part is when I answer him and I'm not right he usually can bring up something from the movie to dispute my answer. For instance I told him that I thought maybe Darth Vader took his mask off to sleep and eat and stuff. He then said, "But I thought he couldn't breathe without the mask?"

That is just the tiniest sample of the never-ending questions and thoughts. I'm so afraid that he might be that guy that goes to all those conventions and dresses up and buys really expensive Star Wars collectibles. No offense to anyone who might do those things. :)

Anyway, my boys are great little companions and I really enjoy them even when they obsess about Star Wars and are only naughty for me.

9 comments:

Rebecca said...

Ange, that is the cutest thing about Greg and Ben! There's something about grandparents. Love the Star Wars stuff, too. He is so smart!

Eliza said...

wow lol about the star wars stuff. That picture in my mind was priceless seeing a 34 year old Natey going to conventions, it reminded me of spence from king of queens. wow, good stuff.

christian@dontdodumbthings.com said...

Have they seen Saw or Resident Evil 3 yet? May be good picks for the next sick day.

Macy said...

LOL! I am laughing so hard about picturing Natey in the movie theater line waiting to get in to star wars all dressed up (exactly like Spence on King of Queens.. I don't know if Ange wants a Spence on her hands at age 34 though). I also see the future worst for my kids when they start doing something wierd. I just know that means they will be weird as adults. So funny. My kids love Star Wars too, luckily they move on to other obsessions. BTW, ryan and I always laugh at Brennan saying to Anna he is about a 3 on a scale of one to ten for believing in fairies. love it!!

Andrea W. said...

Rebecca, I just cannot wait to get a picture of Grandpa with all four of these little boys! Very funny, Christian. Liza and Macy, I totally pictured Spence when I wrote this. Scarey!

Anonymous said...

It is so weird to me that Star Wars is such a big thing right now. My 3 year old does the same thing asking me who I want to be (the only ones I really know are Luke and Darth Vader) he knows all the characters because he plays a Star Wars game with his brother on the Wii. On Sunday, he came out of his primary class and said "Mommy, look who I drew, General Grevious." Oh man!

Greg said...

Ange, LOLOL about Nate dressing up and going to the Star Wars conventions. So funny!!

That was a sweet experience for Benny to cuddle with me. What a priceless thing. I need more of that.

Greg said...

Ange and Macy, what a scream about Brennan being a 3 on a 1-10 for believing in fairies. I honestly laughed out loud. I hadn't heard that.

Who cooked up the 1-10 scale? Anna, no doubt. Why would she nuance that? Does that show her own doubts, or is she letting adults calibrate the doubt/faith ratio? Pretty clever. What a great answer, Brenn!!!

Mandolin said...

Isn't it just so frustrating that our kids can be so "bad" for us, and then turn right around and smile for a visitor! I guess better that then being "bad" for both, right! You have so much patience. I've always admired your patience and how you care for your children so tirelessly! You're a great example as you answer all those darth vador questions! Way to go!