Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Difference of a Day

This is going to sound cheezy, (I've found that a lot of cheezy things are actually true) but I am constantly amazed at the difference a day can make.

Last night was NOT a good one. The day was actually great. I got a lot done, Rex got to come play, the kids played outside and had a blast. Around dinnertime; however, things started to break down. Brennan left for a meeting, the girls were not happy about doing their homework, everyone was grumpy and emotional. As the night progressed so did the drama. I had explained Anna's homework many many times but she wasn't getting it and was in tears. Abby started having a panic attack because of her asthma which brought me to the brink of a panic attack trying to decide if I needed to figure out how to leave the three kids and take her the ER. She wasn't wheezing and was breathing fine so I decided to just see if I could calm her down. Ben was crying because he wanted Daddy. Nate thankfully did not cry, he was just mad because he had to stop playing Star Wars and go to bed. I tend to be a little bit dramatic sometimes so while it may not sound too bad, it was in my weary mind. We gave up on homework and my FHE plans and I finally got them all to bed. Ben gave up getting out of his bed and asking for Dad and fell asleep. Anna and Nate drifted off fairly fast. It took poor little Abby a while, but she finally calmed down and was able to go to sleep. Brennan came home and asked me why I seemed a little depressed. I sort of just laid on the couch until I could get the energy to go to bed.

This morning Anna finished up her homework and understood it in about 5 minutes. Abby was cheerful and breathing free and easy. Ben happily kissed Daddy goodbye. Nate has the whole day to play Star Wars. How did one night's sleep make the difference between the end of the world and a sunny new day?

(Oh and by the way, lest I scare any of you from having more kids last night is not typical, not unheard of, but not typical. :) )

11 comments:

Jo said...

I don't care if it's cheesy-- it's SO true. Somehow in the morning everything can look so much better. I'm glad yours did!

Eliza said...

oh man I hear you sister! ;) seriously, that is rough and I can't imagine how much more chaotic it could get with two more kids! ahh! I'm glad there is a happy ending though, good for you for being so positive!

Amy said...

I am always amazed that when there is a problem it always intensifies at night. I am more of a morning person so I tend to meltdown at night as well. Glad you got through it! Morning is a wonderful thing!

Macy said...

Oh Ange. So sorry i added to your chaos with one more child. If it makes you feel any better you really saved my life yesterday...I was feeling so sick and I knew Rex was going to be so bored. Thanks again!!I am glad today is a better day.

Mindi said...

hey, praticallly relation of mine! i think nighttime with the kids tends to be the worst time at our house. i am always out of patience or "d-u-n" as i like to call it, and i tend to snap easier. this is when we need an au-pair to take care of the big things so we can concentrate on the little, funner (is that a word?) things with kids. someday.....

Ryan@dontdodumbthings.com said...

Very true, Ange. There are some problems that won't go away during the night, but they're fortunately few and far between. Especially those that involve people between ages 1 and 18.

Bobbi said...

Hey, I love cheesy!

Everything always looks or is better in the morning, isn't it true? Speaking of meltdowns, I have a few right here who need to go to bed....

Grandma W said...

Isn't it amazing how the subconscious works?

Anna'a brain never gave up on that homework assignment, but kept right on working during her sleep. Everything just fell into place.

I cannot tell you how many design problems were created during my sleep. I always got up and sketched out what I just dreamed on a scrap of paper.By the next morning I had forgotten the dream; but the scrap of paper brought it all back. Once I got to work, it "was" the solution to my problem.

I should do more sleeping during the day. Ha Ha

So sorry to hear about Abby's frightening asthma spells. I found that Singulair works wonders......

Andrea W. said...

Thank you all for your comments, I try not to care, but I do, comments are very validating.

Amy, not sure I'm a morning person either, kinda sad, what am I?

Macy, Rex didn't add to the chaos, in fact it all started after he left, maybe we just need to keep him! I'm glad you got a little break and I hope you feel better.

Mindi, thanks for stopping by! It's such a small world.

Janet, good point about how we can be thinking even while we're sleeping. What a great idea to write down your inspiration while it was fresh!

Rebecca said...

im glad you get through those days and thankfully, they are so easy to forget for all the good times.

Mandolin said...

I laughed inside when I read how Brennan came home to find you in utter despair and asked what was wrong. Whenver Dave can sense such a frustration in my heart from his very entrance into the home and asks me the same puzzled question, "What's wrong?" It almost sounds silly to list the things you listed...because the drama just cannot be explained, right? How frustrating!