I have a wonderful wise aunt (actually I have a lot of wonderful wise aunts), who suggested that in our family prayers we pray for each family member specifically. I know this seems fairly obvious and I remember doing that in my family growing up. I often pray for each of my children by name in my prayers and sometimes in our family prayers, but more often it was "please bless the girls at school" etc.
I've tried to follow my aunt's advice and take the time to pray for each child and any special blessings they might need that day. It's really added such a sweet dimension to our family prayers because now my kids do it when it's their turn to pray. There's nothing sweeter than listening to one of the humans I love most pray for another of the humans I love most. I've been amazed at their perceptiveness as to what their siblings might be in need of and the frank sincere way they pray for help for them.
I was absolutely blown away when the other night Anna said, "please bless Mom and Dad and give them the strength they need to raise us." She didn't say it in a "PLEASE clue my idiot Mom and Dad in" kind of way, she was so sincere as if she had a tiny moment of insight to the huge responsibility we feel. Anyway, I think we'll keep this tradition and thank you, Liane, for the tip!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
How sweet Andrea! I agree that there are few things more thrilling than having your kids show that they love each other--and doing that by praying for them is just heart-warming.
It sounds to me like Anna was truly inspired in seeking that blessing for her parents. That's not something a child that age would really be tuned in to. Beautiful!
That is so true, Ange. Good reminder. So sweet and perceptive of Anna. Rex always does that and I love it. He says in every prayer, "I am so grateful for Molly and her sweetness in our home." It is such a good advice!
Thanks for the reminder Andrea- What a great thing to teach your children.
That is such a simple and wonderful idea. I am going to make an effort to do that and for sure teach my kids. It would really make your prayers more sincere.
Ange, that is the most touching thing. I am convinced.
So perceptive and sweet of Anna. What a great idea, Andrea. You are such a sweet realistic mom. I am excited to start your new tradition. I sure miss all of you wonderful Bell woman!
Amen! Thanks Liane and all you wonderful other aunts of ours! I just love learning from those who have walked the path before us! Thanks for the reminder Ang!
Post a Comment