Wednesday, April 30, 2008

An Original, Inside and Out

Anna has always had an opinion all her own (and usually very different from mine) on everything under the sun, especially regarding what she wears. Each night the girls ask me what the temperature will be the next day (could be snow could be sunny) so they can pick an outfit for the following day. Two nights ago I told them it would be nice and warm the next day so if they wanted to wear shorts that would be fine. A while later Anna practically flew up the stairs. She was beaming and bursting to show and tell us what she had come up with. Evidently the only suitable outfit she could find was a pair of white shorts and a white shirt. She knew that that combo would be too plain so she scavenged the basement for some fabric and tape and whipped up this little number:



I was kind of stunned and unsure of how to react. I have never read a single parenting book that mentioned what to do when your child tapes fabric to his/her clothes. She kept saying how excited she was to show her friends. On the one hand I felt like she did a pretty great job considering the resources available to her and I felt very proud of her creativity. On the other hand I was a little worried about the very reactions she was anticipating and the possibility she could be totally crushed. Oh and to be totally honest, the thought of what people were going to think of this child's mother did cross my mind. Brennan and I praised her creation and sent her floating down to bed. We then sort of wondered together what in the world we were supposed to do. After consulting each other, checking our own pride and calling my wise Mom and sister we decided to support her but gently prepare her for the possibility of mixed reviews. She was totally undeterred by the fact that it may not be a hit with everyone and proudly went to school in her original design the next morning.


She came home completely satisfied and said most people liked at least some of it and then asked where the rest of my fabric is. I congratulated her on her triumph and said that perhaps someday we could get some fabric and ribbon and other things and pretty up some shirts but once was enough for this week.


Whew, another parenting pop quiz over with, I just hope we passed. We love Anna!

13 comments:

Eliza said...

wow, I'm super impressed, that was not was I was picturing. I can't believe how resourceful and creative she is, and I have to say I totally know how exhilarating it is when you make an ensemble out of stuff laying around, although I haven't tried the duct tape method yet. hmmm. anyway, super cute, i love it, and for reals you need to teach her how to sew and get her on design star nowsville!

Ryan@dontdodumbthings.com said...

Wow, Ange, that's pretty amazing. It always blows me away how people we created can grow up and have such completely different thoughts and ideas about what they want.

Anna is definitely an original. And I'm sure I would never have had a problem with some girl showing up to school with some parts of her outfit taped on. It actually looks pretty cute from the photo. Tell her I like it.

Macy said...

Wow! She is really talented. I think it looks really cute. Nice work Anna. I agree with Lize, she may have sewing in her future.

Rebecca said...

I am seriously impressed with her creativity! I wouldn't have guessed it was taped- it was really well done. Good job on passing the quiz!

Becky, yep said...

SERIOUSLY...Get that girl a sewing machine...she is going to be a fashion designer! you should put that picture into her own little scrapbook or 'portfolio'!
I love that, good for you for letting her be proud of herself!

Brynn said...

Before you know it you will be on the front row of the Anna Wright fashion show. Adorable daughter with loads of talent-check. Incredible Mom and Dad for embracing their daughters talent-check. Early retirement-check!

Shauna said...

Wow, so creative. I am serious, she does need sewing lessons it was really cute!

Jo said...

Good for Anna. What a talented little girl! LOL on your re-telling. You are so funny!

davis@dontdodumbthings.com said...

i looked at the picture first and didn't notice anything different about the outfit. pretty cute. in fact, i taped some plaid fabrice to the pockets and lapels of my suit today.

Mandolin said...

So creative! It's always a scary thing when they get creative and innovative, isn't it! I just remember the things my mom would say when other mother's would worry about what other people thought of how their children looked. "Who cares! You shouldn't! Save your battles for the really important stuff!" Way to go Ang in being supportive!

Bobbi said...

I think you should steer her towards fashion design! Awesome outfit... and cool supportive partents!

Amy said...

I am proud of her and even more proud of YOU! I need to work on my easy going with the tape and fabric parent. She is such a cute girl! That will be one day that she remembers for a long long time and I think you hit a homerun with your reaction!

Grandma W said...

Creativity is born in a person. You cannot reach into their little heads and put it there. It sounds like a "sewing machine" will be on a Christmas List and birthday list one of these days. That's a graduation up from tape. Ha Ha

Oh, to be able to make your own clothes during the teen years. Anna will definitely be an "original" with her personality. You go girl!!!!!
grandma wright