Sunday, June 29, 2008

Tired and Grateful

You know the old saying "a mothers' work is never done"? It's true. I've been a little under the weather this week and while I'm thrilled that I am now nausea free I have the energy of a fish in one of those big tanks at the doctor's office. (You know the ones I'm talking about, you stare at them for 10 minutes before they move?) Anyway, after vacationing and playing with visiting family there's really so much to be done around the house and yard, but all I can do is stare at it helplessly as I lay on the couch or shuffle into the kitchen to get something for someone. The harder I work at motivating myself to get up and accomplish the many tasks awaiting me the more tired I get. Just today I was working up the energy to get everyone ready for church and woke up at 3:30, we arrived at our 2:00 church at 4:00. (Before you crack some joke about Brennan in your head or to your spouse, he's not feeling well either.)

Oh, and all of this mental anxiety and physical wimpiness is exacerbated by the fact that I'm pretty sure I have a semi-infected spider bite on my leg. It's really big and really sore but the worst part is imagining when and where I was victimized by some disgusting horrible arachnid. Ewww. It's emotional torture.

Anyway, as I've pondered my never-ending to-do list (okay so I don't actually have a written list, I'll get to that (assuming I live through the night) as soon as I've rescued my laundry room floor from complete extinction due to evil overflowing baskets of mostly clean clothes (they have been washed, but now a good portion of them have been stepped on by several sets of feet which are varying degrees of dirty.) that seem to be growing by the second.) I have become really grateful for the large amount of jobs that aren't on my list thanks to Brennan.

Here are a few of the recent things I'm grateful I didn't have to do:

He took my car and: 1: got the brakes fixed, 2: got the big dent banged out, and 3: got the transmission flushed.

Earned, saved and paid the money required to get an air conditioner installed in our house!!!! He also found someone to install it and totally dealt with them for me.

Discovered non-functioning sprinklers and called someone to fix them.

Takes the garbage out, I know that's kind of cliche and may not sound like a big deal but I get kind of claustrophobic when the garbage piles up but I HATE taking it out.

Pays the bills, both by working hard and earning the money for them as well as budgeting and paying them.

Cleaned up after Ben's stomach flu.

Cleans our shower.

Got up early with Ben Saturday and Sunday morning. (We usually each get one morning to sleep in)

Put kids to bed alone numerous times so I could party with my family.

Cleaned the kitchen many times over the weekend.


Those are just a few of the things Brennan has done and always does for us. I'm so grateful. For all those of you who have ever taken care of a family and a house all by yourself I don't know how and just thinking about it makes me realize I really need to get back to the couch.

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

Cleaned the shower???!!! Now, that's beyond the call of duty. I'm impressed. I know how you feel sometimes.

Eliza said...

wow that is an impressive list. I'm so sorry your not feeling well, crappy.

Braden Bell said...

Good form, Bren. And good form to you, Ange, for thanking him.

Nicole said...

Hope you feel better soon. How nice of Brennan to do those things! Freaky about the spider bite. I have seen some pretty wierd looking spiders in my house and was actually just looking one up on the internet. It was great to see you last week!

Shauna said...

Ooh, just reading that a spider bit you kind of freaks me out. What a great guy your hubby is to clean the shower and I agree that there is an unwritten rule about men taking out the garbage.

Greg said...

How sweet, Ange, to tell us about Brennan. That was really very nice. It means so much to have support during the down times. And it's been a tough time with this stomach stuff. Plus you have been so great in coming over to mingle with Braden and Mere and all the others.