Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Birthday Party -- The Good, the Bad, the FUN!

Yesterday was a big day. For Nate's 5th birthday I decided it was finally his turn to have a party with some of his friends. The theme was fairly easy to come up with --- Star Wars!

The bad news is that Nate and several others couldn't stand the little jedi tunics I made for them.

The good news is I found the fabric at Wal-mart for a dollar a yard and look how super cute they look in them!!!



Yoda is not amused.





The bad news is, I spent 3 nights and a good part of yesterday creating a paper-mache death-star pinata that was totally demolished in about 5 minutes. (I realize that's the point, but still it was a little painful to see my work of art be so obliterated so quickly.) Plus, I forgot to take a picture of it.

The good news is the boys loved it, it was a definite highlight. What boy doesn't love to destroy, especially something so evil like the death-star.

The bad news is my Yoda cake looked more like a weird green cat.




The good news is 5 year old boys aren't particular and as long as they got a piece with some icecream they were happy.

The bad news is that my non-violent games like popping bubles with their "light-sabers" (pool noodles with tape around the bottom) occupied them for approximately .43 seconds before they started mercilessly whopping each other.

The good news is pool noodles are really soft.

The bad news is I was so busy I couldn't possibly do everything I needed to to keep things running smoothly.

The good news is I was brilliant enough to enlist the help of Anna and her bff, Chloe (who made her family delay their vacation so she could help) who were honestly MADE the party a success with all their help.

Chloe

All in all it was a great time. Boys are so much fun if you can just keep up with them! Cute Lucy was a great sport about being the only girl guest, but as you can see she took it pretty seriously.


Rex

Pod Racing

13 comments:

Ryan@dontdodumbthings.com said...

Wow, those photos are a crackup. Thanks for sharing.

Ange, this looks like an enormous effort. Nate probably has no idea what you put into this. What a great mom, and very creative too. Way to go on a fantastic party- I got nothing but rave reviews.

Greg said...

Incredible, Ange. What a lot of work. Things don't always work out as we envision the. We can't anticipate what the little ones will like and dislike. It's crazy how arbitrary they are. But what a mom you are.

I love the theme and how you carried it off and how you involved Anna and Chloe...Smart!!

I feel bad for Yoda. Rex's picture looks so subtle, being in the partial shadows. Is he struggling within about the Force?

I hope Nate had a blast.

Shauna said...

Wow, you are mother of the year. I love the cake, so great. What a cute party and I bet your kids don't know how much you put into it. Well that's motherhood, huh.

Andrea W. said...

Ryan, I'm glad your kids had fun, they were so cute and nice to have. They don't look super happy in their pictures, but I hope that was because they were really concentrating.

Dad, so true how arbitrary kids are, you just never know what's going to be a hit.

Shauna, the work is kind of insane and so invisible isn't it? Worth it though.

Eliza said...

wow, I am hyperventilating just looking at all the stuff you put together. for sure mom of the year award! lol about chloe delaying their family vacation, and green weird cat, I think it was adorable and very realistic. anyway, cute pics, loved hearing about it.

Amy said...

Love your creativity. You even made costumes for everyone. You are the bomb. Did you really think they would only pop the bubbles. I am amazed it lasted.43 seconds. Looks like a GREAT party.

Mandolin said...

I am seriously impressed! You are such a great mother! I love that you spent so much time to make that a special event for Nate! Way to go! I loved the pictures!

Macy said...

Cute photos. Darling party. The kids looved it!!

Andrea W. said...

I should clarify that I had not one original idea, just tweaked some great ideas from the great land of google!

*Monica* said...

Ok, so I am totally stealing your ideas for Alec's next birthday, except I will probably just let them bop eachother from the start, lol. Welcome to the land of Star Wars, you are going to be here for a while, lol.

Bobbi said...

I can't believe they didn't like the tunics! They are awesome! And I like the pod racing goggles and the cat cake lol! I guess the Star Wars craze hasn't worn off at your house like it did at ours. But then, I have girls so I guess it's understandable. Too bad, I could have stolen your ideas! :)

Shannon said...

what a great party and I LOVED the cake! Also love the light saber idea.

christian@dontdodumbthings.com said...

You are awesome for doing that. Awesome.