Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Trials and Blessings

Frankly, this last week has been a tough one. Two of my kids have been really struggling with OCD. They've each had these tendencies to various degrees for a while now, but the last week or so we've seen it kind of completely take over. We've racked our brains for what could have possibly triggered this, but have been completely stumped. Today my wonderful visiting teachers (2 women in my ward who visit me monthly to share a message and see if I have any needs) were here and I unloaded all my worries on them. One of them suggested that perhaps all the talk of the Swine Flu has been the trigger. She talked about how her kids who normally don't worry at all about such things have been really anxious. The teachers have been extra careful and talked a lot to the kids about washing hands and germs etc. I think she's right and am so grateful for her insight, as I think about it it's so obvious but we never connected those dots.

I'm hoping that as the Swine Flu scare passes, we can phase back into a more manageable state soon. It's heartbreaking to watch your children struggle with things and be so powerless to help them. My visiting teachers also helped me remember that Heavenly Father loves Brennan and me and our kids and will not abandon us in these difficulties. We're trying to have hope and faith that these things will ultimately be for our kids' good and help them gain a testimony of the role of the Savior in their lives and that through Him we can overcome all things. And really if they can learn that at an early age, what more could a parent want?

9 comments:

Shauna said...

The Swine Flu has my kids a little scared too. Hopefully the scare will be over soon.

Sara said...

oh Ange! You have such sweet kids. I'm so sorry that you're family has to go through that. You have an amazing attitude and perspective.
They came to the right Mommy!!!

Rebecca said...

that is so sad. i'm glad your VT's were able to help you make a little sense out of it. this swine flu thing is really being blown out of proportion and its created a total frenzy!

Macy said...

That is a good point made by your vts. I am sure this has freaked all the kids out. People just need to stop talking about it already!!

Nicole said...

It is comforting to know that we have people in our lives to help us out, even when it is some insight to something we haven't thought about. My mom found out my brother had OCD through a woman in her ward, she had no idea why he was acting the way he was. You are truly amazing, wonderful and supportive parents and I hope that their worries subside soon.

christian@dontdodumbthings.com said...

that's sad. The nurses we work with in primary say they aren't one bit worried about swine flu. I think it's just like getting the regular flu.

Jo said...

Sounds like your v.t. was really insightful. I wouldn't have thought of that either. Kids today really do really have a challenge as they are surrounded and bombarded by the ever-present media.

I love your faith, and am sure that you're right, and that your kids are very blessed to have the wise, caring, inspired parents they do.

Braden Bell said...

Oh Ange, I'm so sorry to hear they have been struggling, but how cool that an inspired VT was a able to help you at least trace the trigger.

Anonymous said...

I am Brynn Sorenson's friend and she told me to check out your blog for a book recommendation because my 7 year old daughter has been diagnosed with OCD. Thank you for the words of encouragement. It breaks my heart to see my daughter so sad, but I just hope that this will make her stronger. We have her set up for some counseling and we hope she makes some progress. Thank you for talking about it and for such an uplifting post.