Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Happy Holiday!

I've written before about our perhaps freakish devotion to the Memorial Day holiday. I think I also managed to jinx that year because we got rained out and while we bravely carried on inside a few different church buildings, it's just not the same when we can't be at our special park. Anyway, we were looking at the calendar a few days ago when Brennan asked, "What do we do for Memorial Day?" GASP. What? I'm not sure he's invited this year. The funny thing is he LOVES this day as much as I do. Sigh.

I told the kids about what their Dad had said and they were as horrified and outraged as I was. Then Abby said, "I LOVE the part of Memorial Day where we go to the park, but I HATE the part where we remember the dead." We all cracked up, but we also knew that it's not because she thinks the graves are boring, it's because it makes her so sad to think and talk about the people who have died, most of whom she's never met in this life at least.

Have a happy Memorial Day!

7 comments:

Jo said...

I'm glad you're there to keep Brennan on schedule!

Braden Bell said...

LOL about Abby. That's sort of like loving the presents but getting a little bored with all the manger stuff at Christmas....

Rebecca said...

have fun guys! hope the weather is good this year.

Shauna said...

Funny Brennan. What a fun tradition you guys have. Are you all well now? Hope so.

Sara said...

Yay!! I can't wait!

Grandma W said...

Hope you don't get rained out this year and you all have a blast.

Eliza said...

lol about Abby, I love how sensitive and sweet she is.