Wednesday, September 17, 2008

What I Do

Around 6:00 a.m. I am usually startled awake by two blankets being thrown on or around my head followed by a squirmy little boy helping himself to the majority of my pillow. He then starts demanding things like his orange juice or "Caillou". As much as I want to keep sleeping I cannot resist my tyrant king Benjamin's commands so I obediently stumble into the kitchen to get his majesty his juice. Then I negotiate a spot in my bed and pretend I'm going to go back to sleep. When I finally decide to admit that sleep is a distant memory and not in my near future I stumble back out to the kitchen and make sure the girls are awake and getting ready for school.

I then make breakfast for everyone and tell Anna to hurry. Then I make the girls' lunches and tell Anna to hurry. 15 minutes later Abby has eaten, gotten dressed, done her chores, brushed her teeth, loaded her backpack and is asking me who she can play with after school while I tame her bedhead hair. I interrupt her to remind Anna to hurry. Brennan sits at the computer and watches our stocks tank and rethinks buying Lehman Brothers last week. He skips breakfast as he's a little nauseous. I tell Anna she has 5 minutes to get dressed, finish breakfast, do her chores, and pack up her backpack. She doesn't worry about it and I try not to have a nervous breakdown. 2 minutes before it's time for the girls to walk to school Anna decides now would be a good time to play hide and seek with Ben. There might be some yelling by someone who very much regrets it very soon after.

I wave goodbye to the girls and lament that I forgot to reserve some energy for the other 14 hours left of the day. Then I clean the kitchen and pick up the family room and help the boys get dressed. I go get ready for the day while the boys make a mess of the family room and kitchen. We do Nate's homework, sometimes run an errand or two, read some books and try to keep the boys busy so they don't get bored because I've noticed that when they get bored they get destructive. We eat lunch and then drive Nate to school. Ben and I head home where I put him to bed for his nap. I enjoy a few hours of quiet time and usually just before it's time to pick up the carpool Ben and his two blankets come down the hall and find me. I stop whatever I'm doing and pick him up and snuggle with him for a few glorious minutes.

Just before 4:00 3 kids come bursting through the door and then it's a whirlwind of comings and goings, ballet, piano, soccer practice, activity days, friends, etc. On Thursdays Anna comes home from school and changes into her leotard, tights and ballet shoes. 45 minutes later she comes home and changes into shorts, shin guards, and cleats. It always makes me laugh.

At 5:30 I start to try to round everyone up and help them with homework while I make dinner. Brennan is usually home sometime around then, but is often on the phone. There is a lot of talking going on by a lot of people. Sometime around 6:30 we eat dinner and I wonder if Brennan and I are very loud people because all of my children are. I usually smile at something someone says at dinner. Sometimes it's Abby who often hears wrong and we often laugh at what she thought someone said. Or it could be Nate saying something very grown-up but a little bit wrong and Anna catches my eye and smiles at me knowingly. Or it could be because I watched Ben insist on dishing himself large portions of everything on the table including salt and pepper and eat 3% of it or because he says, "Good dinner, mom".

Around 7:00 we start the painfully slow process of getting everyone ready for bed. All the lively good natured playful sides of all 4 of our children suddenly appear and they are the best of friends who cannot be ripped from each others' sides to attend to getting pajamas on or brushing their teeth. Abby is efficient but terrified of everything and cannot go downstairs without company. Anna is fearless but tragically inefficient. Eventually Anna finishes getting ready for bed so that Abby can and around 8:00 we have our family prayer and sometimes (working on it) read scriptures. Ben and Nate cuddle with Brennan or me for a few minutes and then one of us tucks Ben in his bed and Nate in our bed, he's scared in his room so he falls asleep in our bed each night and then we move him into his bed. As we tuck him in we rub his legs for a minute because they are always "stretchy". Then we spray some air deodorizer aka "bad guy spray" for good measure. Theoretically the girls each read until 9:00, but it is not uncommon to find Anna creeping upstairs at 11:00 to go to the bathroom having just finished reading. This stresses me out because for some reason I'm a little neurotic about my children getting enough sleep and although I lecture Anna to no end about how badly she needs her sleep I secretly love that she loves to read so much and feel like a hypocrite because I can often be found up all hours of the night reading (or writing posts).

From 8 to 11ish Brennan and I catch up with each other and although I'm exhausted I can't figure out why because it seems like I didn't get anything done all day. He tells me how he's worried about an account that he lost or might lose and I tell him not to worry that it will all be okay. It always is, but every now and then I realize that it's all okay because Heavenly Father blesses us and because Brennan worries about it and works very hard. He usually wants to watch CNBC or Fox news and I usually won't let him.

Between 11 and 12 I lock all the doors several times and fill Nate and Ben's sippies with orange juice and start the dishwasher. Then I go look at Nate, then Ben and usually I change his diaper. After that I go downstairs and put vaseline and socks on Anna's poor little chapped hands, then I go look at Abby. Most of the time I really have to look because she's way down under her covers or pillow. I think about how cute they all are and how much I love them and how much nicer I'm going to be to them tomorrow.

Then I climb into bed next to Brennan and before I know it two blankets are being thrown onto my head.

12 comments:

Braden Bell said...

Wow Ange, that was one of the best posts I've ever read. It was funny and poignant and really captured what life is like. My gosh, the Lord must be so grateful for moms like you. I sure am. What an amazing job you do each day.

You had me laughing out loud as you described each of the kids' little quirks and eccentricities. You caught them so well.

Eliza said...

Wow so amazingly written ange. So funny and so true! I was laughing so hard about the tyrant king ben and anna playing hide and go seek with benny, oh so hilarious. Anyway, wow what a full exhausting but rewarding day.

Macy said...

That was so great, Ange. I loved reading it!

Joey, Amber, Ken , Ellie, Bruce and Patrick said...

That was so fun to read! It looks like I've got lots to look forward to!

Ryan@dontdodumbthings.com said...

Geez, Ange, that really puts everything into perspective. I know some people think church leaders are being condescending or insincere when they praise the huge contribution mothers make, but I can see how perfectly appropriate that kind of praise is.

This is a high-energy, high-demand role to play. Makes me realize I don't give enough credit to Macy too.

What a well-written post, though. And seriously- he's up at 6:00???? wow.

Shauna said...

Sounds so familiar. I think we all can relate. The crazy time from 3:30 on, the kids waking you up too early and the hope for a little more sleep. All of it so true.

christian@dontdodumbthings.com said...

I loved reading that. Very interesting. I was struck that, while I feel like I know Abby and Anna very well, I would have guessed their early morning routines to be completely opposite.

I can't believe you go to bed that late and get up that early. Ugh. It's so much easier to be at work with little sleep then it is to be home with stuff to do. That's miserable.

lolol about bren and lehman bros. Made me think of Covall stock. I think that dude should just put his money in a nice index fund. I have few hard and fast rules in life, and one of them is never let my FIL or Bren invest my money (when I get some).

Nicole said...

That sounded like a chapter out of a good book. Have you ever thought about writing a book? Seriously that captured me, you write very well. You are very busy and have an awesome attitude. I love you family!

Megan said...

Best. Post. Ever.

It almost made me want to be a mom. Almost.

Jo said...

Andrea, that was truly beautiful! So meaningful and well writen. Oh how I remember those days of working so hard yet not being able to point to any specific thing I'd accomplished. You are a very patient, wonderful mother, and I think your kids are so blessed.

So true:
"it's all okay because Heavenly Father blesses us and because Brennan worries about it and works very hard."

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

OMG.. I am pooped out after reading that...
I better go take a nap!!

*right right right*

anyway...
and after all of that.. you still write funny and awesome posts like that...
what a talented and energetic girl!

Greg said...

THAT was a post! What a writer. Most of us know that our lives are real and interesting to ourselves, but we can't believe they'll be interesting to anyone else. But you are able to convey it all with such reality and zest and a little humor that it comes across as genuine and important and...REAL. You have a gift, my dear.