Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Tender Mercy

I know two posts in one day, but I had to get all this down while it's fresh.

My friend Shauna recently posted about one of the Lord's "tender mercies" in their lives which comes from one of my very favorite Book of Mormon scriptures: "...the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those who he hath chosen because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance." 1 Nephi 1:20 I love this scripture and I love that phrase "tender mercies" because it reminds me how tenderly Heavenly Father feels for us and how much He loves us and helps us.

Today we experienced our own tender mercy and being made mighty. It was the first official day of Kindergarten for Nate. He's been excited but as I've written before I just didn't know how he would react when it came time to actually drop him off and send him on his way. I have discussed my concerns for him with his teacher and because she is wonderful and experienced she suggested that I arrange for one of the girls to bring Nate to class instead of me doing it. He goes in the afternoon so that took some doing, but fortunately Anna is at recess during the time Nate's class begins so I arranged with her to meet me in front of the school so she could walk him to his class. I felt prompted to not make a big deal out of his starting school and just try to keep things light and normal so that he wouldn't feel any sort of pressure and big dealness. Anna and her cute friends, Chloe and Sadie, met us at the curb and like three little mothers herded my happy little boy to class. I sat in my car watching the scene in utter amazement wondering if he would stay calm when it was time for them to leave.

I waited for several minutes and then sneaked in to take a peak. There he sat with all his other little classmates alive and well. I guess I didn't realize just how worried I'd been because as I walked down the hall back to the car I burst into tears and choked back sobs of gratitude. It's difficult for me to leave any of my children for any length of time, but it's excruciating to do so when they're sobbing and clinging and begging me not to leave. I did it last year with pre-school and in his church class sometimes. I know full well that tomorrow he may decide he doesn't want to go back and that we will still have many ups and downs, but I'll always be grateful for today.

12 comments:

Eliza said...

oh ange that is so sweet. Wow thank heavens for those tender mercies they just get you through life don't they? How sweet to see it with one of your children, what an experience.

christian@dontdodumbthings.com said...

That's really sweet. What a good idea to have Anna take him.

Shauna said...

What a fun weekend visiting with Brennan's kin. I am dying to go see Big River and Les Mis at Tuacahn. It is such a spectacular setting to watch a play and the plays are so good. I love your Nate story, so sweet. It does make you realize those small moments of mercy from our Father in Heaven.

Braden Bell said...

Ange, that is beautiful. I'm so glad you wrote it down. What a great mom!

Rebecca said...

That's so sweet, Ange. It's heart-wrenching isn't it when they're begging you? I'm glad he did okay.

Ryan@dontdodumbthings.com said...

Ange congrats. How about those moments when you didn't know you were emotional at all and then suddenly it just kind of hits you like a brick wall? I remember when I spent the week in the hospital with Lucy, and I really felt great about it and enjoyed being with her, then, when someone spelled me for the first time after several days, I walked out of the hospital and just bawled all the way home. Strange.

Anyway, I'm so glad Natey's doing so well. Sounds like he's really putting some of the old fears way behind him.

Jo said...

Oh Andrea, what a sweet story, and aptly named! It brought tears to my eyes, especially the part about you bursting into tears as soon as you were "done" and out of view. How I remember doing that more than a few times.

Macy said...

Good for Natey!! I am so glad he is off and running. What a sweet post.

Grandma W said...

How sweet of Anna and her friends help Nate on his first day of school. Nate is a tender hearted little guy and loves his family so. Little boys often need assistance in leaving the nest for the first time. On the same note, it is hard for moms to let go. I know about those tears as well.

Shannon said...

What a great idea to have his sister take him to class! I hope it's gone as well as the week went on.

islandmom said...

I can relate to this post on sooo many levels!! Thanks for sharing the story!! :)

Bobbi said...

Andrea--have you got anyone to carpool with? This saved the day for me with Lilli who is a lot like Nate. Now I just drive to the curb and Lilli and her friend take off--but if I try to get out and walk her in it is a nightmare!