I think probably anyone who has blogged for any length of time has probably experienced varying degrees of love and hate for this whole blogging phenomenon. Whatever your feelings are it seems to me that blogging has hit a nerve and is taking over the earth. I feel like perhaps all of us are a little starved for a sense of community and blogging is allowing us to fill that void. Instead of bemoaning the fact that our fast-paced lives, garages (we pull right inside eliminating any chance of chatting with a neighbor), fear of child molesting creeps, and so many other things are now the reality and have slowly pushed out the casual openness and sense of community as depicted in Sandlot, we have grabbed hold of a new substitute. The question is, is it filling the void or only drawing us into our homes more and away from making "real" relationships?
There are those who use their blog as a creative outlet, a journal/family history, a way to connect with family and friends and a way to make new friends. When I started mine I didn't know this entire culture existed. I had only seen group blogs that existed to support some common ideal or theme like Mormon Mommy Wars, Times and Seasons, Millennial Star, etc. I felt like a brilliant pioneer as I realized I could start my own personal blog to transition from writing a somewhat regular update/journal email to friends and family to a much more broad way to record my thoughts, my children's (and husband's) sayings and antics and photos with those who truly want to be part of it and can do it on their schedule. Then to my amazement I discovered this whole individual/family blog thing not only already existed, it was this major sub-culture that had been going strong for quite sometime. There were cute backgrounds, slide shows, background music (which still scares the tar out of me EVERY time I go to a blog with music), sidebars features galore, give-aways, tags, etc.
Plus in a few clicks you can know everything there is to know about your 2nd grade bff or your husband's ex-girlfriend. Weird. Good weird or bad weird? That's a whole other issue, what are the rules? Where are the lines of propriety? Then, just when you're pretty sure you're writing to an audience of your faithful 5 commenters and therefore feeling pretty comfortable and safe in airing your every thought someone you kind of know makes a casual reference to one of your posts. At first you're kind of flattered and then you panic and wonder what you've written that could possibly be offensive or insensitive or something to people you had no idea read your blog.
I've decided that for me I love the access I get into the lives of those I love. Even my family and friends I see regularly, in some respects I know and see way more through their blogs than I do in their presence. And for those family and friends who I never see, it's invaluable. I love that I will have this record of these days with my little family. I love that I have this outlet for my thoughts and feelings as I navigate the ups and downs of motherhood and life in general. I love the rare occasions when there are no misspelled words when I spell check. I love when I get through the word verification letters on my first try.
However, I still struggle to know where the lines are, how much time is too much time to spend posting and reading? Do I want to belong to the "blogging community"? Are comments a healthy way to get some validation or just another popularity contest? Am I endangering or humiliating my children? Am I always true to myself and my family when I post or do I sometimes play to the audience? Have any of you come any conclusions you'd care to share?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
funny, I've been thinking a lot about the blogging world/culture too. first of all lol and couldn't agree more that the music on peoples blogs scares me spitless every time, and I swear its always when my kids are napping or the wee hours of the morning when I can't sleep. Anyway, very thought provoking post, it must just be like everything else where moderation is key to not letting it rule your life, although thats easier said than done and I haven't taken my own advice yet. But all in all I think its a good thing to keep in touch with family and its such a great outlet for stay at home moms. anyway, wow sorry that was so long, great post!
Ok, so for the last couple of weeks I have been completely obsessed with blogging. It is sort of a love/hate relationship that I am battling. I announced a couple of times that I was going to give up the whole blogging thing but to my own surprise I have not only abondoned it but have become very involved in it. I would say that it is a great way to keep up on every ones families, lives, interests, thoughts...when you only see some of them a couple times a year. I figure that my obsession is a phase but for now I am enjoying that link to the community and "outside" world. By the way, I love your comments on my blog.
I sometimes feel the way you do and cant deciede if blogging is healthy either. But I go in stages with my blog where I post a bunch, and then don't touch it for weeks. I made my bog private for a while and missed running into old friends. The main reason I blog is for my family that lives out of state, so they can keep up with what is going on in our lives. Ultimately I decided that outweighs my other concerns, but I think you have to decide for yourself.
P.S. Sorry for the music, lol
First, I have to agree with you about music on blogs. It must go! I jump everytime it starts up. I am so back and forth about blogging, I really love reading other peoples blogs but feel like in order to do that I must have my own blog and I don't always love posting on mine.
Such a great post. I am so back and forth about the whole thing as well. I really enjoy it, but sometimes I think I should be doing other things like sleeping (like right now), cooking or cleaning. I think I do spend too much time posting and reading others. I agree with all your thoughts espesh the music playing. ;)
Great post! it is so funny how this little computer life I am in is a pretty important one right now. I agree with the music think... i just mute my computer so I ( and caylor when he think I am doing something else...) can't hear the music. I love reading about your little family... this was a thought provoking pot...good one!
I try not to think about all the cons of blogging. But, occasionally I do threaten to "go private" (also to find out who's looking at our blog). I REALLY do not like, though, when people have music on their blog that bombards you every time you go there.I also hate word verification--what's the point? It's so annoying! Great post, though, good stuff to think about...
Ok, well I guess I won't be adding background music to my blog after all. I'm pretty new, so I'm still trying to figure all of this out. We're not even posting our last name in any of blogs because we're paranoid about privacy and our kids' safety, and we haven't posted any of their pictures for that reason. I also have noticed that, rather than engaging with my flesh-and-blood family I sometimes am tempted to be online blogging or commenting, which isn't good and is counterproductive. That being said, since we live so far from family, I have loved having this window on their lives and having them know a little about mine.
Ryan and I have thought and talked alot about this subject too. I think moderation is everything. I love the idea of having a record of my family and the cute things my kids say. We now have our first blog book, and let me say that made me feel so much better about our blogging time. It can be a definite time waster though, and I think if it goes to extremes, and is about the commenting , etc it can get a bit narcisstic.
I think it's great we have unprecedented access to stalk everyone we've ever known. Godsend is the word that comes to mind.
I've thought many of the same things about blogging. In defense of music (which my blog doesn't have) occasionally I put my computer on a blog with good music while I clean my kitchen, etc. It's just easier than itunes sometimes. I love the way that blogs let me keep up with friends all over the country and I write mine mainly to keep long distance family up to date, which does make me wonder if maybe I don't have actual conversations with a lot of people because we're caught up on the surface happenings of our respective lives. Which also brings up the point that I spend a lot of time obsessing about all of the stuff that I can't actually write about on my blog. I think there's a lot more to most people than what you read and I hope I'm not missing out!
Extremely thoughtful and well-written post, Ange. You are a good thinker. I agree there are dangers. We can disclose too much, and we need to be aware that we are publishing to the world, as it were, but with your natural moderation and good sense, your blogs are nothing but enjoyable and uplifting and will not come back to bite you.
Another phenomenon I've really noticed is how some people, two of whom have commented on this blog, will rarely say much in a gathering but open up so beautifully through blogging. A different medium brings more comfort and fewer hurdles than direct personal contact and allows the real personality to emerge. That's worth a lot.
I do think that one can spend WAY too much time on these things, but with moderation they're fantastic ways to connect with those you love.
Post a Comment