Friday, July 25, 2008

Pioneer Day

The 24th of July is a big day around here and we look forward to it every year. This year we started off the celebration the night before at another parade. This parade is in the evening and kind of miserably hot, but it's a great parade. There are tons of real floats and marching bands and all that good stuff. Liza and Abe, my parents and Anna's friend were there which made it extra fun. Thanks Eliza for saving a great spot.





Abby in Nate's sunglasses




The next day we kind of did a big fat nothing all day which was actually kind of a nice change. Brennan was around which was great and we all just relaxed. Anna, Abby and Nate played really well which is always nice. I got to go to the store all by myself. Then at 5:30 we headed for a nearby park for the big celebration. 35 years ago (before I was born) my Mom's family started doing a picnic/party at a park on the 24th and they each invited their in-law families.

The park has changed and all the other in-law families except my Dad's family has stopped coming so now every year we gather with both my Dad's and Mom's families for a picnic/potluck dinner and some serious volleyball. Kids 1 and up are totally on their own, they have the run of the place. They play cops and robbers, water fights etc. Babies get shoved into the arms of non-participating adults. We had 2 nets and 6 teams last night and played until and a little after dark. It was a blast. This summer so often when we go places it consists of the kids playing and the adults sitting and watching. It was so great to be so active and pretend like you're not old and out of shape, until the next morning. Plus my team was kind of awesome and won every game except our first one.

The bummer of the night was that I forgot my camera, but when we got home realized that I hadn't forgotten my camera. No pictures, boo. We got home just in time to catch the last few fireworks put on by a nearby amusement park that we can watch from our front lawn. Great day. Here's one photo from the night:



The grand finale



Oh, and when I got ready for the party I came out in a new outfit and Ben said, "Mom, new jammies?" Jammies means all clothes to him. Pretty observant for a 2 yr. old. Also, I love having girls, they always notice and comment and love when I get dressed up or have something new on. "Mom, I LOVE your outfit!" I'll enjoy it while it lasts and before they're saying, "Mom, you're seriously wearing THAT?"

8 comments:

Eliza said...

Finally! ; ) great post of good times and celebration. I love that about benny and the jammies. So amazingly dialed in. oh and I love that picture of the fireworks, gorgeous!

Greg said...

I wouldn't think of taking pictures of fireworks. Of course, our camera works on the old pinhole method and you need direct sunlight to make it work.

The 24th is the best, Ange. Your team was awesome. We had six teams and they kept going for hours until dark and the volleyball was actually pretty awesome in a jungle sort of way, wasn't it? Except Ryan punked me and made me do the teams again

davis@dontdodumbthings.com said...

You want a gold star for posting? Get back to work. You're like 5 posts behind.

Unknown said...

That's what I was going to say. Bird is the new you, you are the new me, and I guess I would be the new Bren. Dis.

Andrea W. said...

So Davis and Christian did you mean to say something like: "Wow, having you take 5 days off made us realize how much we love and appreciate you and your consistently entertaining posts. We are so excited to see that you've posted another excellent post and hope this means you are back on track as the best family blogger ever."?

Jo said...

Funny, Dave and Chris! Funnier, Ange. Snap!

christian@dontdodumbthings.com said...

Mom just said "snap". Time to shut this thing down

Braden Bell said...

Great post, Ange. Way to snap, Mom.