Wednesday, May 28, 2008

My Not So Favorite Part of Being a Mom

Yesterday afternoon Ben woke up from his nap with a really goopy eye. Shortly after that it began to look red. I called our pediatrician who called in some drops and it's looking MUCH better now, but this gives you an idea of what it did look like:



Yes, his face and hands are dirty, I do clean him but he's always dirty. He's smiling because he's holding a piece of gum for enduring his hated eye drops. It was breaking my heart watching my big blue-eyed boy walk around like this. He still really hates his drops and it is so sad and cute watching him run away with his chubby little hand covering his eye. Thankfully he is doing and looking much better now. We love Ben.


Poor little Natey banged his forehead on the corner of the bathroom counter tonight. It's really small, but he was bleeding and it is pretty open. Because it's so small we didn't do stitches but are wondering if we should? How do you know? Sigh. I'm so not medical. He came right out to show me and when I saw the blood I knew this would be traumatic. He told me he needed a napkin. I grabbed a paper towel and wet it. He said "No, Mom, don't get it wet!" I kept trying to tell him it would work better if it was wet and would help it not stick to his cut. He held his little hand out and in his bravest most adult voice said, "Mom, no I'm serious, I'm serious don't wet it!" Each time I tried to make my case he would just say "No, I'm serious" over and over. It made me want to laugh and cry at the same time. He is so amazingly stubborn. For now he is sleeping soundly. We love Nathan.

I know that these are not a huge deal, but I hate to see my kids in any kind of pain, and I hate that I feel so inept to help them and know what to do.

6 comments:

davis@dontdodumbthings.com said...

So why not a wet napkin? What was he afraid of?

Eliza said...

oh that is soooo sad, for both of them! poor guys.

Shauna said...

Oh, the joy of Pink Eye. You have two sweet little boys.

Andrea W. said...

He was worried the water would sting.

Jo said...

Two very poignant tales, Ange. And I truly feel your pain. Oh for some medical blood in these sissy veins!

Greg said...

Poor little guys. It's amazing they survive it all...especially mothers who want to put wet towels on the wound.