Sunday, March 16, 2008

Woe is Me

Many months ago Ben successfully launched himself out of his crib and onto his floor. He was only about 16 or 17 months old and I didn't like picturing what he could have done to himself upon landing so from that moment on I he has been sleeping in his pack-n-play which has slightly higher walls. It worked and for these many months he's been a dream to put to bed. Just recently, however, he's started to resist bedtime and nap time every so slightly, but if I'd promise a song (his favorite, "piduh" aka Eensy Weensey Spider) he'd eagerly let me rock him and sing a song or two before willingly going to sleep in his bed.

He's been sick these past few days so I'm hoping he's just off and that this is not our new daily ritual, but after our songs he was anything but willing to go to sleep. I went in several times to try to calm him and let him cry for quite a while. After one more attempt to calm him I left his room, closed his door and hoped he would give up soon. I went into the kitchen for some dinner prep. Brennan and the other kids were at church and the house was quiet but for Benny's sad protests. Finally even he quieted and I relaxed and dreamed of what I would do to celebrate the rare silence of this house. My dreams were short-lived as I began to discern a little pitter-patter down the hall. Woe, is me, my baby just escaped his bed, opened his door and tearfully requested permission to sleep on the couch. Poor stinker-pot boy. Fortunately for today anyway, a few times carrying him back to his bed worked and he's sleeping peacefully; however, I'm afraid this is the beginning of the end! It was nice to have at least one child that was easy to put to bed while it lasted.

9 comments:

Eliza said...

no way! He can climb out, plus open the door knob? wow, not cool for you, but very talented of him. Are you going to do the big boy bed now?

Brynn said...

Ahh man, the beginning of the end. Guess you'll just have to have another to have a crib baby! :)

Shannon said...

oh- I'm dreading that day! If I have it my way (which we all know happens little too often when faced with a toddler) Kara will be in her crib till she's 4...the magic age, right? And Ben can open doors too? Yikes!

Jo said...

Oh cute, precocious Benny. That IS pretty impressive, but pretty much a pain as well!

Becky, yep said...

Such an appropriate title!!! Nothin' is worse than the bedtime battles!
All I can say is...Super Nanny!
She really has taught me!
Good luck!

ps, piduh!? how cute is that

Bobbi said...

oh Andrea, I feel for you! children and beds and sleeping all mixed together always seem to cause some kind of terror for mom!

Mandolin said...

I've got it. Maybe we should all do away with bedroom walls and cribs and use one large bedroom for everyone with mattresses all over the floor. Then everyone will get to have a sleepover every night and they'll stop asking to do so with their friends! I'm sure our husbands would just for joy at the thought of this idea, don't you!

Grandma W said...

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Brennan was always very agile and free lance. Benny sounds like a chip off the ole block, so to speak. Ha Ha

I'm afraid your quiet time has ended now that Benny can make the big escape. All parents dread the day; but it is inevitable. Babies are bound and bent to "grow up". It's parental Karma for being a kid once yourself. Hang in there, mom. Next big step is 16. hee hee
love to all of you, grandma wright

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Ruh roh!

Soooo far... Magoo hasn't learned to do that...

I keep my fingers crossed.