Tuesday, March 25, 2008

San Diego, Part II

Here we go with the exciting conlcluding vacation post. Okay, so we left off with Sea World which was Saturday. Sunday we got up and ate and then headed for Church. This was not a great experience. The meeting we attended had a lovely Easter program with lovely music but our children were not being lovely. Evidently kids on vacation living on grease and sugar and in a "foreign" ward do not reverent kids make. This was the one regret I have about our trip, that is was over Easter Sunday. I love Easter and I think it is one of the most sacred and special days and ours just wasn't. Anyway, after Church we went to the hotel to let Benjamin have a nap he had been denied for the three previous days. After naptime we hit the beach again.





The fact that my albino child finally kept his hat on is one of my greatest triumphs.



This is Nate "surfing" aka standing there and holding out his arms.




Abby


Anna


As usual, Benny left his mark.


For any of you who were at Newport Beach with us a few years ago, my kids were WAY braver than they were then. Abby was even downright gutsy and Nate ... got in. It was actually very gratifying to see how much more relaxed they were about the ocean. Except for Ben who fell once in .23 inches of water and wanted no part of it from then on unless Brennan was holding him, but the others made serious progress. Yay!


So honestly, Legoland, Sea World, Beach, airplane were all really nice, but HANDS DOWN the highlight for my kids was the dinky hotel pool. They would have been in it all day every day if we hadn't insisted we actually go do some things they can't do any other warm day.






Here's a shot of the "Field of Flowers" which was right by our hotel.


Sunday night we went to dinner and settled back in at our hotel. Monday morning we got up, got packed and drove down to San Diego. We stopped briefly at Old Town San Diego where we went to the Mormon Battalion Visitor Center. The missionaries there were so kind and showed us around before we headed to the airport and flew home. Poor little Ben totally melted down on the plane and screamed his guts out for what felt like 73 minutes, but I think was probably about 5 until he finally let Brennan pick him up. Brennan got up and walked the aisle with him for about 3 seconds before Ben fell fast asleep for the rest of the flight.


All in all, great trip! We were blessed with gorgeous weather and got to do so many fun things, but mostly it was just great to spend so much time as a family.


That said, here are a few reasons I'm glad to be back:


1. Believe me I don't go looking for mirrors, but every once in a while they are a neccesity and foreign mirrors are just plain cruel. I was so happy to come home and catch a glimpse of myself in a friendly mirror at home.


2. To have non-humid-climate-hair.


3. To be able to make some healthy meals!


4. To have a computer!!!


5. To be able to drink water all day long again.


6. To have more than a trickle for my shower water-pressure.


10 comments:

Brynn said...

What an incredible vacation. Of course the kids loved the dinky pool the most! It's like Christmas when they are more excited to play with the boxes and wrapping paper. What a memory maker. It looks like you had a blast. Yay San Diego, Yay Brennan for winning the work trip!

Brynn said...

What an incredible vacation. Of course the kids loved the dinky pool the most! It's like Christmas when they are more excited to play with the boxes and wrapping paper. What a memory maker. It looks like you had a blast. Yay San Diego, Yay Brennan for winning the work trip!

Rebecca said...

Fun, fun! Andrea, did you know that behind that field of flowers is one of the best outlet malls??? I don't know if I would have been able to resist if I was staying that close! I'm totally jealous that you guys were at the beach, though. Also, I LOVE Old Town San Diego- did you make it to the Ghirardelli store? Yum! Glad you guys had fun.

Macy said...

Sounds like a great trip, guys! I also love Old Town San Diego. I am glad your kids got gutsier about the ocean. So fun.

So weird about the mirror thing...never thought about that. hmmmm.

Anonymous said...

I also have the crazy hair in humidity. In most vacation pictures it is not a pretty sight. When my sister-in-law got back from a trip to Hawaii with her 4 year old she said "What was your favorite part of the trip?" Her daughter said "pushing the elevator button." Kids.

davis@dontdodumbthings.com said...

Natie "surfing." Cute and sad. Reminds me of our trip to the OC when he stood on a boogey board 20 feet from the ocean.

Macy said...

I actually love humidity hair, at least for my kids. Their hair goes curly and I never have to do anything with it. I always want to move to the coast for that one reason...I hate doing hair!

Grandma W said...

Ah! After a fun filled vacation, there IS "no place like home". Humid hair syndrome and foreign mirrors will fade and be a thing of the past. You have made wonderful family memories for both you and the kids. Life is good! grandma wright

Eliza said...

okay first of all, those pictures of your kids in the ocean are gorgeous! plus I love love love that one of benny in the pool, so stinkin cute! secondly, I am sooooo with you on the foreign mirror thing. I totally had that in New Mexico, just my face in general was having issues, but the mirror there did not help! I think it usually the florescent lights at hotels that are not so flattering, but anyway, I totally get what you are saying and it made me laugh hard. oh, and thirdly I love that about your kids how cute and entertained they are by simple things like the pool, so darling, probably a little frustrating on a vacation, but still a great quality to have.

Becky, yep said...

Oh, I CAN'T WAIT! I'm sure my kids will be the same with the pool!