I've debated whether or not to post my thoughts on the election. It's old news, it's all been said 45,783 times, and a lot of people will probably disagree with my thoughts. However, it's a pretty monumental election and maybe someday it would be interesting for me or my kids to read my thoughts at this time. Maybe not, but since I am completely, thoroughly, utterly stumped as to what else to post about -- politics it is.
I was not ever really very enthusiastic about John McCain (or the Republican party in general lately for that matter) and while I admired Barrack Obama's oratorical style and his measured, reasonable and gracious personality I just hated almost every one of his proposed policies. Plus, abortion is a huge issue for me and Supreme Court appointments make all the difference. My other big fear about Obama is the fact that he wants to "remake America" (he said those very words in his victory speech). I'm all for reform, but it seems to me that there's a significant difference in reforming and remaking, so I had to vote McCain.
That said, it was absolutely THRILLING to have tangible, living, breathing evidence of the progress our country has made in just 40 or so years. It's a wonderful thing for all of us, but I can only imagine the elation of all those who have experienced racial discrimination or have ancestors who were slaves to now have an African-American as our President-elect. I definitely felt that as I watched Tuesday night. I think President-elect Obama has an incredible ability to inspire and lead. I hope and pray he will preside with an inclusive and bi-partisan spirit. I am determined to support and pray for him and hope for the best.
Probably my biggest annoyance with the election is how McCain's people are throwing Palin under the bus. I don't care if everything they said is true, they picked her and if they were taken off guard by some of her weaknesses they should take responsibility for that and it REALLY bugs me they are laying the blame at her feet.
A highlight was McCain's concession speech. He struck me as poised, genuine, kind and gracious. In fact, had he been like that the whole time I could have really gotten excited about him. I liked him more that night than I did for 2 years.
Lastly, this election is OVER and that makes me very happy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
I loved hearing your thoughts. I too, couldn't decide if I wanted to post anything about the election, but it's been such a big deal I was afraid I'd regret it if I didn't and then the only thing I could squeak out was that I was speechless. Which is true. Now that it's over, I can't decide quite what I think, except I'm a little scared. It's silly and I think I've been listening to conservative talk radio a little too much.
I wholeheartedly agree with you Andrea. I have a lot of friends that seem to feel as if the world is ending, but I think that now is when we all need to pull together. I really admired McCain's concession speech too, it's the best I've felt about him through the whole election, and I voted for him! We didn't like Palin much, and Rodger's from Alaska, but once you've made your bed.......
I didn't care for McCain either...
but I was thrilled when he picked Palin... and I find is odd that his campaign staff is spending more time ripping on her than the true facts on Obama...
Now that Obama is our Pres Elect..
I do hope this puts an end to Sharptons and Jackson's rants...
they can absolutely shut their pie holes now.
I am fearful of Obama's policies ... he's soo far left...
the stocks are diving more now b/c people are afraid of paying those awfully high capital cains tax..
I wish he would come out and say..
I WON'T RAISE CAPITAL GAINS TAX... so please quit pulling your money out!!
I don't know why anyone in the world would want to be President...
I yi yi...
and... I love talk radio...
they put things into perspective... unlike our MSM....
Rush and Glenn Beck are my most favorites... Sean gets a little crazy.. Laura is right on...
we used to listen to Savage..but he's gotten very angry...lol
Hear hear. Eloquently stated, Ange.
I have to agree on all points! My thoughts exactly!
Good thoughts, Ange. I agree with you completely. But why do our candidate's greatest strengths always have to be their gracious concesssion speeches (McCain, Romney, etc.)? How about a gracious victory speech?
i COMPLETELY agree with everything you said. i couldn't have said it better. i think it is said what they are doing to palin- they are the idiots for putting her on the ticket. i think we've got some tough times ahead, i hope obama is up for job.
gosh i feel exactly the way you do on so many things i'm amazed. first off abortion is my biggest issue in any election. i am extreme on the pro life ticket and obama's the opposite extreme. but i actually am excited about him as president. i do think he might be able to accomplish a lot of good. also, i LOVE sarah palin. i'm one of those who wants sarah for president in 2012. i didn't know so many have been throwing her under the bus since the election results. that really ticks me off. she could be the best thing that's ever happened to our country.
anyway, good to read your post. we can't wait to see you guys when we're up there at christmastime!
Wow, you summed up my feelings almost exactly. Maybe it's because it wasn't a huge surprise but I'm actually proud to see that most Republicans have been pretty gracious about Obama's win (or maybe I'm listening to the wrong sources.) It's a huge difference from what we saw the last two elections and I think McCain set the tone with his speech.
And after reading more about the demographics of the Prop 8 vote in CA, I truly believe that we have Obama to thank for the outcome of that. They're saying that the African American vote was the deciding factor and I doubt we would have seen the turnout with any other candidate. It really isn't all or nothing!
Great job describing how most of us probably feel right now. I am now behind Obama and hope that his leadership will be good for America.
Thanks for putting up with my political thoughts!
Good thoughts, Ange. I too think it's ungracious for the McCain people to blame everything on Palin. On the other hand, I can sympathize with why they are. She's a turd and she bombed. Bombed as big as you'll ever see anyone at that level bomb (that's the problem: She was plopped onto a level much higher than her ability/experience). But it's lame of the McCain camp to be passing the buck because they should have known exactly what "she was when they picked her up." Their bad and no one else's.
You and I share the same feeling about the race. I wish John McCain would come out and defend Sara Palin. I think your thoughts will mean something to your children in time. I was a Romney supporter myself.
We need to pray for our new president and ask that he doesn't lean to the left like Palosi and Reed. All this Socialism scares me to death. Now that he has had a opportunity to be briefed on the "real subject matter" perhaps he will lead from the center. We can still trust in God to enlighen the new president. Nothing is impossible when you believe in God.Let us all pray.
God Bless America and guide her through these troubled times.
I agree completely with all your thoughts. I found myself strangely pleased that he had won only because of the progress it exemplified of our country. I do still hope that not too many abortion & gay rights laws are passed and things don't go completely hay wire until we can get another republican in office. Regardless, I am so glad it's over and hopefully now the country can focus on the economy.
Post a Comment