I know it's kind of tacky to praise a group that I belong to, but I'm hoping it's a broad enough category as to be cleared of all tackiness charges. The deal is women are amazing. Not all of them, of course, I think we've all known some that are less than impressive, but generally speaking they are amazing.
Everyone who has a baby in my ward/neighborhood gets a shower, whether it's your first baby or 7th. Well, last night I got one. There are two other girls who very recently had their 3 an 4th babies and because there were three of us having babies so close together the women who organized the shower asked us if we'd mind combining. We were worried about people having to bring 3 gifts so they came up with a brilliant solution of doing a casserole shower where guests could bring one casserole/frozen meal and then it would all be divided amongst the three of us.
The guests arrived and most women showed up with three meals either that they had spent a great deal of time or money or both on. The other guests of honor had their sweet new babies there to show off, I had well nothing cute to show off. The babies were doted over and I was given enough sympathy and kindness and offers for help to carry me through the next few days. Every one of them showed such concern as if I was doing something they had never done when most of them did it more times. As I looked around the room at the totally diverse group - some stay at home moms, some working, some new young mothers, some who are braving the drama of teenagers, and some who are enjoying their grandkids, some who've had 5 or 6 or 8 kids and some who are struggling with infertility - I was just blown away. It was truly humbling and so gratifying to know that I belong to this group. A lot of the guests were women who are not particularly close with the three of us moms, different stages of life, new to the neighborhood, etc., but it doesn't matter --we're sisters and we're women.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
What a fun shower! And how wonderful! seriously, there is little I can think of that I would rather have than meals prepared for me in advance so I don't have to cook. That is one of the banes of my existence! Trying to figure out what to feed my family every day!
Not tacky at all. I'm currently working on a post tribute to tall Caucasian window cleaners, and I think that's totally appropriate.
btw, I love your new title picture. Really great picture.
Good luck Monday. To Brennan. For his tournament
how fun! well said- good thing men aren't having babies b/c they would not find the same amount of sympathy. except for with the bell men, of course.:) can't wait to find out what you're having!!!
How cool. What a great idea for you new mom's. Women rock!
I love it!!! That is so true. Isn't it great to be so loved and taken care of. Good luck with the babe. I'll be checking your blog for some pics.
Great tribute Ange, and mostly, very true. What a terrific idea to do a casserole shower.
LOL Chris!
Post a Comment