Thursday, October 9, 2008

Little Women

When is the last time you read Little Women? It's time to pick it up again. We're doing it for our bookclub and since it's been many years since I last read it I intended to re-read it. Unfortunately I didn't get to it until yesterday and don't think I'll finish in time but these last two days have been pure heaven. Here's just one little excerpt:

"If I don't seem to need help, it is because I have a better friend, even than father, to comfort and sustain me. My child, the troubles and temptations of your life are beginning, and may be many; but you can overcome and outlive them all if you learn to feel the strength and tenderness of your Heavenly Father as you do that of your earthly one. The more you love and trust Him, the nearer you will feel to Him, and the less you will depend on human power and wisdom. His love and care never tire or change, can never be taken from you, but may become the source of life-long peace, happiness, and strength. Believe this heartily, and go to God with all your little cares, and hopes, and sins, and sorrows, as freely and confidingly as you come to your mother."

Between this book and General Conference last weekend (a semi-annual series of meetings wherein our prophet and many other leaders guide, counsel and uplift us) something may get through this thick head of mine yet!

8 comments:

Shauna said...

I am so sad I didn't read it. I have read it before but not this time. It really is a great book.

Greg said...

There's a reason why the classics are classics, isn't there? And this one is an especially inspiring, uplifting one. Thanks for the reminder.

Greg said...

That Greg comment is actually Jo.

Michelle said...

Thanks for sharing that great excerpt! I love the reminder of going to our Heavenly Father with "all of your little cares."
It reminds me of Bis. Schwab's great talk a few weeks ago.

Braden Bell said...

Great post, Ange. I haven't read this for year. The Susan Sarandon moview ruined it for me. I'll have to read it again.

Greg said...

A godly book, indeed, Ange. So beautiful. Even though this comment says it's from Greg, it's from Greg.

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

I LOVE LITTLE WOMEN..

but the movie that is...
the old movie.....


such a good movie... and I'm sure the book is better!!

Cami Bruschke said...

Too funny - I'm reading it right now too. Ashlyn finished it a week or so ago and I decided that I needed to read it again - it had been so long. It's so good! I've been underlining great passages - Marmee has such wonderful wisdom.