I attempted a garden again this year. A few years ago I got really into my little garden for a couple of weeks and then kind of forgot about it. Evidently veggies don't love that. Let's just say I reaped what I sewed. However, this year I was determined to get it right so I simplified and carefully picked a few things that we would actually eat, beans, basil, cucumbers, broccoli and tomatoes. I really did nurture and love my garden the best I knew how and well I got some interesting results. I did finally get some beans and tomatoes which just thrills me to no end. Honestly, I always thought people who got
way into their gardens were a little odd, but now I get it. The excitement of compost and weeding and waiting and then eating. So fun.
yes, the tomato is tiny, we're not going for a blue ribbon here

The basil was a total no-show and I got one cucumber. The broccoli, however, was coming a long beautifully until one morning I saw some pumpkins on my broccoli plants. Weird. I have never planted pumpkins ever, and this is a garden box that we built several years ago that didn't exist previously. I still have no idea how my broccoli turned out to be pumpkins, but now it's very exciting and there just happen to be 4 fabulous pumpkins growing for 4 very excited children.
14 comments:
Ah! that's the best!
We adore planting pumpkins every year. We have harvested 19 this year and we will probably carve 10 or so of them. Once we planted carrots and got watermelon, who knows.
Wow! I would LOVE to have a garden- I'm jealous.
It's like a little Halloween miracle! I'll bet if you asked your kids, they would definitely prefer pumpkins over brocolli anyway. Next year will be my first attempt at a garden and I have no clue what I'll be doing. My past attempts at planting in containers have been complete failures. You'll have to give me some tips!
That is so fun! Ryan is the gardener in our family ,but I have to say I love how it gets the whole family excited. My kids just love the whole experience from start to finish, and well I love my herbs!
your so funny. I loved the "apparently veggies don't love that." I am seriously very impressed how fun to have such a yummy (to some not to me) reward for your labors. Love the pumpkin thing so funny.
We always have a mystery plant in our garden and cannot figure out how it got there. I want to taste "Pumpocolli", funny.
I thought of you today when I was cleaning out a pumpkin and Colby insisted on planting one of the seeds. Since we've lived in this house, he's planted everything from apples to watermelon to hamburgers. But this time after he planted it, I thought, oh- maybe this one will grow by mistake like Andrea's. So next year when I have a mysterious pumpkin plant, remind me that Colby planted it. How fun that it's growing 4 pumpkins for your kids, and how weird that brocolli turned into pumpkin!
You go girl!! We are very negligent in our gardening right now... I was just telling Dave we need to put in a winter garden. Anyway, way to follow the prophet! :-)
oh, wow, this is awkward, but those are actually mine. i planted them a while back. please tell the kids they're mine and i'll be coming for them and not to touch them.
Ntohing better than growing your own pumpkins. Mere and I lived on some taht first year of marriage--amazingly versatile things, pumpkins. HOw fun that the kids will have their Halloween pumpkins!
Way to go Andrea. We love our little garden and our herbs too. I love the satisfaction of getting something out of our hard work. We lost a bunch of plants this year though.
I think that's very exciting...
My friend in Reno is HUGE in gardening and canning her own pickles etc...
We are going to have a garden in Beaver... we already have a huge compost pile in preparation for a garden. Have you made compost tea yet?? Mike loves to make it and water his plants with it.
I "wonder" if one of your little darlings planted those pumpkin seeds in your garden last year????? Kids will do that, you know. I found that basil gets a better start when it comes from the nursery. Once you get it going, it is does well. I have to work hard in Las Vegas to get planted in February to avoid the June, July, August excessive heat.
Post a Comment