Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Bike Riding!

Today was pretty big. I decided that it was time for Nate to lose his training wheels and really start riding his bike. Brennan taught both girls so this was a first for both of us. We went down to a nearby trail this morning and I helped him get going. Once he totally had his balance I let go and ran alongside which made him REALLY angry. After promising to not let go again I finally talked him into trying it a few more times. Once I pointed out that by holding his t-shirt loosely I wasn't helping and that it was all him he started to get a little excited. He did really well, but when he decides he's done, he's done. We came back home to put Ben down for a nap and get some other things done.

An hour or so after we got back he started asking me to go out with him and practice. One minute he's mad at me for holding on wrong and then he's mad at me for not holding and then for the fact that he steered himself into a bush. He just doesn't love being out of his comfort zone and when he is he gets a tinsy bit irrational (hmmm, wonder where he got that from?) but I've learned that if I gently push him he's always glad in the long run. So, after a lot great effort and determination by Nate and a lot of pushing and holding onto his t-shirt by me, HE DID IT!!!!



Nate Riding His Bike! from Andrea W. on Vimeo.


The proud bike-riding Nate
An adoring fan.
And another.


15 comments:

christian@dontdodumbthings.com said...

lol. I love that funny little guy. What a funny kid. Tell him uncle kook wouldn't be prouder if he turned himself into a Tiger Shark. Good on ya, Nater.

Shannon said...

Way to go Andrea. I've tried teaching Colby and I'm not so patient. He looks so proud of himself- so cute

Jo said...

Natey triumphs again! So great how much this guy has progressed this year.

Grandma W said...

Remember, mom, Nate takes "promises" very seriously....
Life is just stages of readiness, and Nate was ready. Congratulation!!!! Nate. That is a big step in life. They say once you learn you never forget. You may not forget; but it can sure be kinda shakey if you don't do it for a while. Just ask me.

Eliza said...

Yay for Natey. What a cutie boy, I just feel so tenderly for him, good thing that he is so cute b/c that stubbornness can be so hard to deal with, what a sweetie though.

Shauna said...

It is always big when they reach those milestones. Two wheeler is a biggie. Yay Nate!

Rebecca said...

So exciting!!

Amy said...

Anna looks like such the worried little mother. She is so cute. Such a big step in becoming a big boy!

Braden Bell said...

Yay Nate!!!! We are so proud of him. Zach is especially proud of him. Your account sounds exactly like when Mom taught me to ride my bike and those memories came back so quickly. Someday, Nate will also remember you teaching him fondly.

Anonymous said...

Too cute. He has such a fun time with anything he does!

sarah said...

So we have been watching a ton of tennis this week and an idea occured to me that we need to go with some tennis lovers i.e. you and the Beechers. Let's plan now to go next year for a couple of days. Some of our friends went this year and had a blast. Tickets aren't even that expensive. What do you think?

Josh said...

Way to go Nate! After watching the video I would like to add a nerdy engineering comment. When you are peddling your bike your knees are only supposed to bend slightly. I think raising the seat or upgrading to a bigger bike will greatly increase his riding experience. Just an FYI.

Cole and Kelly said...

I am very excited for nate and happy to say I ran around with cooper this time too, cole had taught the rest of our kids. It is definately not a fun job for the mom or dad running next to the biker and I was telling cole about your temple trip and he wanted to know if brennan got a ticket going to that temple too!!!

Andrea W. said...

Kelly, amazingly no ticket to and from our Temple trip; however, nice big fat ticket on trip to Fredonia 4 miles outside of our destination. Brennan is supposed to appear at Kaibab Piute court on Oct. 8th. So happy with him.

Mandolin said...

That is so exciting. I remember how excited we were when Halen and Harris learned the same skill. It's such a big deal for them and a huge childhood growth marker. I love the little wobble that new riders have. Yay Nate! How fun and rewarding!!