Last night Brennan had to work late and at the end of a very long day one of my kids and I had a showdown over homework. It was exhausting and sad and left me feeling frustrated at my inability to help this child. Nothing I ever say seems to help. It had ended, but we were both still upset. I sent them all to bed and sat down to scratch their backs for a minute. I felt like singing them a song so I let them pick one and I’d sing it. This child wouldn’t pick a song , so I picked one and started singing. It’s one of my favorites, do you know the “Angel Lullaby” I think it’s from “My Turn on Earth?” Anyway, as I sang, “…sleep, sleep, till the darkness ends…” I became aware that we both felt so much better, the tension in our bodies was released and replaced with relaxed. There was a spirit of calm and love and peace in the room. I knew the darkness had ended for that day all because of a little song. Someday the darkness - all darkness - will end forever, until then we’ll keep singing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I love that ange! Your kids are so lucky.
So sweet. And I agree about the magic of music 110%
I am so happy to hear someone else sings that lullaby. Our mothers must have taught it to us. It's a fabulous song. One day Nat's little Corbet said, "Mom, that song kind of scares me." He was referring to the angels being at the window and by your bed and all. So funny.
Post a Comment