Thursday, January 29, 2009
Considerate or Condescending?
I'm leaving my little family for a little over 24 hours tomorrow and I will be at a far away location approximately 3 miles up the street. I'll be leaving my kids in the care of their very competent, very involved father who was kind enough to take the day off on Friday. The same man who was smart enough to marry me (however,not without some temporary lapses of intelligence and doubts):), who manages to provide for a family of 6 and 1/2, who excels at his job, etc. So why did I trade carpool days so as not to leave that to him? Why will I make sure I get the kids dressed before I go or at least lay out clothes (think flip-flops with socks and paper shorts, etc.)? Why have I spent most of this morning helping Nate get his homework done early so that it will all be signed and ready and in his backpack ready for tomorrow afternoon? I will refrain from making a dinner ahead of time for them, but I did consider it. I'm telling myself that I'm just trying to make things easier for him, but if you were him would you be insulted? For the record, these things do not insult Brennan. He never minds me making life easier for him whether it's out of consideration or just plain control freakiness.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I do the exact same thing, and Ryan does get a bit insulted. I don't know why we do it?? I think we have become control freaks probably.
Hmmm. Not sure but I think I'd react the way Brennan does: "Fine-- less work and hassle for me. I'm good with that!"
I know, why do we do it? I think it can backfire on us because then they can come to expect it. But it is hard to just let them do it.
I totaly try to do that when I go somewhere. I think it is because it is less explaining for me and I know all of the details will be complete.
I think it is considerate. I do it too, mostly because I feel guilty for leaving someone with something they don't "normally" do. Have fun, I really wish I could have made it!
While you are away you will feel much more comfortable "knowing" that all is well at home. There is never a day off for mom. For some biological reason, men just do not see the "need" that women do. What you have done ahead of time will make the "homecoming" more pleasant. I think it is great Brennan is willing to pull your shift. Legally you are protected. Ha ha
Post a Comment