Saturday, December 15, 2007

O Holy Night

My favorite Christmas song, in fact one of my all-time favorite songs is "O Holy Night." For me, it's the song that captures most closely the majesty, the wonder, the miraculousness and the pure joy that results because our Savior, Jesus Christ was born. Last night I had the opportunity to hear it sung by the men of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and the King Singers. I don't know if I've ever had a more sublime musical experience. First of all, I love men's voices, and the subtle yet powerful strains of the men's choir behind the perfectly harmonized, flawless voices of the six King Singers was just too good for this world. It honestly felt like we had been transported some where far away from the cold, sometimes brutal, mean world we're so used to living in. I felt a new gratitude and level of understanding of the glory of God and the divine gift of His Son to each one of us. O Holy Night, indeed. Merry Christmas!

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

Ange--That is totally my favorite song as well. I love it! I just break out in song (poor Christian) everytime I hear it. I heard Josh Groban sing it on the radio the other day and it was amazing- though not quite as majestic as the MoTab, I'm sure.

Jo said...

Beautifully expressed, Ange. It was a surpassing moment for me too. Is there anything more sublime than the best music combined with pure, sweet spiritual vibes?

Ryan@dontdodumbthings.com said...

I agree- it was the absolute highlight of a really transcendent concert. I came home to Macy in such a high mood, she didn't really know what to do with me.

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Oh my goodness...
that is my favorite Christmas song, too.

We just listened to it sung by the Trans Siberian Orchestra the day we baked all those cookies.

Anonymous said...

Andrea, I feel the same way about good music. That sounds amazing. My sisters love your blog.