Friday, April 23, 2010

Talents - I've Got Some!

For those of us whose talents are a little less obvious than well, everyone else's our day has come! My very talented sister has started things off and challenged us to declare our talents. Now before you go and tell me that I'm being hard on myself let me assure you that I am generally NEVER hard on myself. That said, I'm pretty aware of what I don't do well, but I've made my peace with it and while it bugs me every now and then I've accepted it and continue to work on those things. Basically what I'm trying to say is that I'm about to list some of what I consider my talents, try not to be intimidated ;) and try not to take this as a cry for help and a plea for assurances of my great worth. When my children look back and remember how our house was always messy and how often I lost my patience I'll whip out this post and show them how lucky they are to have me in their lives. Okay, enough disclaimers, here we go:

  • I am freakishly strong. (Now I know why, the Good Lord knew I'd be lugging around some seriously chubby babies). I am an incredibly inaccurate and inconsistent bowler, but I throw that bowling ball so hard it's impressed my Dad for YEARS. Seriously, you should see it. Or just ask my Dad, he loves to talk about it.
  • I have the good fortune of not needing anyone else for good humor. I find myself really funny sometimes and am not above laughing at my own jokes. (I do find lots of other people funny too, it's just nice that I don't need them to get a laugh.)
  • I'm a fabulous finder. I've honed my skills from years of being unorganized and never putting things in the same place. Seriously, I can find a missing shoe, my keys almost every day, a needle in a haystack, etc., etc. faster than anyone in my family. (I'll admit my competition isn't much, they're all hopelessly terrible at finding things.)
  • I inherited my Grandpa's love and appreciation for characters. As in really colorful people and then I went and married one and then I bore 5. While I'm not always patient with some of their eccentricities, on some level I always see some humor in it and think they greatly enrich my life.
  • I sing lullabies well. I have no memory for lyrics to songs and I've lost all my nerve for public singing, but I do have a few lullabies that I know all the words to and when it's nice and dark I can sing with the best of them :)
  • I'm not a flake. I'm disorganized and last-minute and barely keep my head above water, but I'm not a flake.
  • There's this one game that I think my parents gave us for Christmas when we were kids called, "Rubics Race" and I was pretty much unbeatable. My brothers refused to play me after a while because they got tired of being slaughtered. I could also usually beat them in indian leg wrestling (that's what we called it, probably not very pc is it?). I'm usually good at games in general and am very competitive.
  • I'm good fixing things. One day Brennan was with some buddies leaving our house to go golfing. When he tried to close the garage it wouldn't so he called me from his car and asked me if I could please fix it. He took more than a little abuse about that from his buddies.

Okay, your turn, what are your talents?

4 comments:

Shauna said...

I totally agree that you are funny. It is so fun being with you. And wow, I am impressed at the garage story.

Eliza said...

Dang funny stuff. the bowling thing I was always so jealous of. What I wouldn't have given to hear: "Oh my word, Jo, did you see that power behind that?" ; )
You are dang funny, but it does always make me laugh even more because you are cracking up too. True about the no flake thing, could you teach me that please?
Fabulous list. I loved every bit.

Jo said...

Great list Ange! I heartily agree with and enjoy every one. And though they may not be on any list of "conventional" talents, they truly are gifts which come in pretty handy down here, Bub.

Braden Bell said...

LOL about Dad and the bowling. I remember that, actually. Just another way Old Greg set Brennan up. You're also a great singer!