Friday, August 21, 2009

Family Vacation

We just got back last night from a fabulous family vacation. Just the seven of us headed up to a beautiful lake about 2 hours away from here. It was super last minute and kind of crazy trying to pull it together, but was just what we needed.

We spent most of our time at the lake. The smartest thing we did was to bring our big container of plastic animals, the kids played with those in the sand and water for hours.



The second smartest thing was renting this fun little toy






The girls spent lots of time digging holes



Brennan spent lots of time entertaining these guys


While I spent my time keeping this sweet baby happy and out of the sun


When we tired of the lake and the sand, we'd head to the pool.









Some things I learned from this trip:


1. I'm always kind of shocked and appalled the first time someone throws a tantrum or fights with a sibling when we're on vacation. Once I remember that our kids are still kids and when they act up it doesn't mean the whole trip is ruined, I enjoy myself so much more.

2. There are a million reasons not to go on a family trip, but do it anyway.

3. When Nate yells, "Let's swim to the big white booby" he really means "big white buoy"

4. Brennan is an amazing Dad. He invented game after game that kept the kids totally enthralled.

5. Abby is funny. There was a guy we saw at the pool and lake several times. For some reason Abby was kind of fascinated by him and talked about him a lot referring to him as the "Teriyaki Chicken Guy". I will never be able to tell you why but it totally fit him.

6. Anna isn't too cool to play with plastic animals in the sand with her 8, 6 and 3 year old siblings and I love that about her. She's also really funny and loves to tease (like by pretending to spill the million of little shells she insisted on bringing home much to Brennan's chagrin and laughing when he gets all stressed out). When he gets over the stress, it cracks him up.

7. Ben has some very challenging moments when he melts down, but other than those he is such a fun, happy, game, scrappy, bright little boy. He keeps up amazingly well with his older siblings and makes everything so much livelier.

8. Nate is possibly the sweetest little guy ever, and I just can't get enough of his sincere, serious mood.
9. Sometimes I'm not sure which is harder, when the kids are getting along (and being wild and crazy in the condo at bedtime) or when they're not getting along ("Nate is breathing loud and it's bugging me!" in the car).
10. Fun does not accrue. After we had been home for literally 10 minutes we heard that oh so dreaded phrase, "I'm bored."
11. There aren't 6 other people in the whole world I'd rather spend time with.



8 comments:

Eliza said...

so fun. love all the pictures of the kids playing in the sand, all you need for kids is sand, water and toy and it is pure heaven. looks and sounds totally idyllic. what a fun cute family. lol about the big white booby and the teriyaki chicken man.

Grandma W said...

I loved all the fun pictures. So happy to see Ben out of his cast. That would have been a bummer. I still can't figure out who Josh looks like. Help me out here.

Jeff and Heidi said...

So cute! I love the low stress vacations... plus, anything with water and sand is normally a hit with the kids!

Rebecca said...

how fun! where did you guys go? that lake looks really beautiful. you guys are such good parents.

Macy said...

lol. Such fun times. I am so glad you made it happen. There is nothing better than a little time away. Looks like a great one.

Sara said...

How fun!!
Your kids are at the perfect ages for a trip like that.
I hope you got a picture of teriyaki chicken man.

Andrea W. said...

Janet, most people are seeing Anna and Brennan in Joshua, but to me he's kind of got his own look going. I'll be curious to see who he ends up looking like, maybe we'll finally have a child be more of a mix instead of one side or the other.

Greg said...

Awesome vacation. Awesome post. Loved it.