As young mothers we look to the day our kids start school as a huge milestone, very exciting but a little sad too. As we try and find the silver lining in turning over our time with our child to others we think with naive optimism of all the things we'll get done with one or more child gone for the bulk of the day. If I have say 4 children and 2 of those children are gone from 8:30 to 3:50 surely there will be no bounds to my productivity, right? WRONG. First of all, the most self-sufficient, helpful, younger-sibling-entertaining children are gone. Secondly, there are still 2 children who need a lot of attention. Thirdly, the chaos that ensues from the second school children get home to the second they lay their sweet little heads on their respective pillows sort of nullifies any peace, quiet, productivity one might have had before 3:50.
Let me illustrate by today. It started at about 3:30 when my carpool friend called to say she was stuck in traffic and wasn't going to make it in time to pick the kids up. I grabbed Nate and Ben, washed the peanut butter off Ben and stripped him down to his diaper (he found the jar of peanut butter), threw them into the car, did my usual hunt for my keys, and raced down to pick up the kids. There were two extras who Anna and Abby recruited to come practice a song they're singing in the Primary program. Once we got everyone delivered to their homes the seven of us headed in to practice. I played the piano while Nate jumped from the arm of the love seat onto my back, while the girls alternated between giggling and singing, while Benjamin climbed all over my lap and added a nice obbligato. These are the days that get a little crazy!
After practice, I ran Abby to a friends' house, called about 5 friends for Nate none of whom could play, and tried unsuccessfully to get a grumpy Ben to take another nap while trying to get a little of my little transcribing job done. After I straightened up the family room I moved onto the kitchen while Benjamin promptly scattered about 100 play dollar bills all over the family room. About 5:30 I called Brennan to see if he could pick Abby up on his way home which was hopefully soon. He was more than willing to help me in anyway possible as he had just been handed an opportunity to attend the local NBA game and eat and watch in a suite. He would pick Abby up on his way home to change and head out for the game. I rounded up Anna and sent her friend home so we could start her Reflections project that's due on Friday. Brennan made it home and then quickly left to go pick up his forgotten charge, Abby. Dinner was cooking, Anna was pulling out the modeling clay and starting her project, (which turned out to be the kind of modeling clay that doesn't harden so she gets to start over tomorrow) Ben was stealing clay and running as fast as he could for the other room, Nate was tackling Ben..... these are the days that try a mother's soul!!
An hour later...snuggling with four little bodies while reading to them "Where the Red Fern Grows" listening to their laughter at the antics of the dogs. Bliss. These are the days, these are the days that I'll always remember and always miss.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
You're reading them "Where the Red Fern Grows"? Why would you do that to them.
I just read that to the boys, but I stopped before the very end. I wasn't sure Dean's little psyche could take it.
what a sweet post. well, after i tell myself that I really DO want more children. your kids are so loveable!
How brutal is the ending? I kind of can't remember, I know it's sad, but I can't remember how sad.
I did hesistate before choosing this book, but I think it's good to expose them to what others go through and let them deal with these emotions to prepare them to experience them in reality.
I'll let you know if I regret it. How old is Dean, Monica?
Oh, and Rebecca, you guys have too cute a kids not to have tons of them!
After you're done with the book you can watch the Elephant Man while snacking on thumbtacks.
I love the new layout of your blog Ange!
Also, a great post. That is great that after a day like that you can still see what a great time a life this is. Sometimes I don't always see that after a rough one.
LOL Chris!
You'll probably have some tears Ange, but I think you're right. Very enjoyable, worthwhile book, as I recall.
Beautiful recollection of a trying day with a reward tucked in at the end. I love your attitude!
It makes me bawl every time and Alec who is 8 could have handled it, but Dean is only 5. I read them Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, and there were a few sniffles but they loved it. We are on to Superfudge now.
P.S. We have also enjoyed Indian in the Cupboard and From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
amen, sister, amen.
Post a Comment