Thursday, November 29, 2007

Adventures of Nate

So, as you already know from my last post, Nate has stitches in his foot and isn't supposed to walk. I thought this would be just for a few days, but I called the doctor today and they said he really shouldn't put weight on it until his stitches are taken out on Monday. I wasn't sure if we could restrain him, but he's actually been quite cooperative. There's something about my waiting on him that he's finding tolerable. He truly has been a good sport crawling around or waiting for Brennan or me to carry him where he needs to go. My Mom was sweet enough to come get him yesterday and play with him for a few hours to give him a change of scenery. Each time we tell him anything regarding his foot like "we're going to take the bandage off" he says, "Did the doctor say?"

After talking to the doctor today I decided we couldn't stay home another day and we would find a way to make it work to run some errands. I decided to hit Costco since it's one of Nate's favorite places only he calls it "Tostco". I managed to find a cart near where we parked and got both boys in and headed in for our adventure. Benjamin soon tired of the cart because Daddy lets him run around when he takes him to Smiths. After he screamed for about 15 minutes and wiggled out of the safety strap I finally let him get out. He did pretty well for awhile just walking along side of me greeting all the strangers. Then we got over by the appliances and Ben took off, squeezed into the small gap between the pallets with the appliances and the wall. I played it cool for a few minutes hoping he'd come out on his own, but every time he started to come out and saw me he darted back in. Finally about 10 minutes later I managed to hide and grab him when he poked his head out all while Nate laughed and laughed as he watched from the cart.

After we finally checked out I bought them lunch. Nate's hot dog fell out of his bun onto the floor after about 1 minute after we got settled in at our table. After I got a new hot dog and 40 napkins to contain the mess that Benjamin managed to make Nate told me he needed to go to the bathroom. I gathered up all our food, put it in our cart, walked to the opposite end of the store to the restrooms, left the cart and carried Ben in one arm and Nate the other. I sat Nate down on the toilet and then ran after Benny who had of course, taken off. I alternated between helping Nate and chasing Ben until we managed to get Nate's bathroom needs taken care of and Benny contained and back to our car. What's so bad about staying home all day?

9 comments:

Macy said...

Lol! I say that lots of days. I really have to get out so many days, and then afterward, I say to myself. Why? Why couldn't I have just stayed on home? It can be a circus sometimes.

Rebecca said...

You are a trooper, Ange! I would not have even attempted that!

*Monica* said...

I'm loving the drama! Alec cut the bottom of his foot earlier this year on a piece of broken glass at the park. It was a full thickness cut (which means it went clear to the bone), and he had 12 stitches. So we can totally relate, he had to go to school though, and his classmates would carry him around wherever he needed to go. The stitches coming out were nothing (he thought it tickled). Our address is 616 W. Central Ave. Springerville AZ 85938, what's yours?

Jo said...

Your trip to "Tostco sounds a little like an adventure of the Keystone Cops. You are a patient woman. That would have done me in!

Ryan@dontdodumbthings.com said...

Ange, that is just nuts. Benny is at the perfect age for causing that kind of havoc.

One thing I do love about kids is when one of them sits and laughs at the other's antics. That's always so much fun to see.

Also, how they only need to go to the bathroom at the absolute worst time. It's the only inconvenient request they know you won't ignore. I hate that.

Eliza said...

ange, wow, so excited to i just added a second child to our family. : ). funny post, sounds like pure craziness, your a patient mom.

christian@dontdodumbthings.com said...

Dang Funny ange.

Piggy, what are you doing cruising and commenting on blogs all day? Didn't you just have a kid?

christian@dontdodumbthings.com said...

BTW, I love that Nate asks if the doctor said so. Got his Grandma Bell's literal medical interpretation gene.

Greg said...

Ange, a long time ago I read a funny/sad piece by a mom whose husband had asked her to type something for him during the day. She detailed all she went through to find type paper, wrestle with the kids, etc. etc. It was bittersweet because she killed herself, but to her husband it was substandard because he perfectly-coiffed secretary would whip it out in a minute or two. Reading of what you went through in Costco has redoubled, re-quadrupled my respect for moms. Seeing up close and personal what E is going through reinforces my admiration and gratitude for the best of creations--mothers.