As I mentioned earlier, Ben turned 6 on the last day of our trip over Spring Break. He got to open presents that morning from Grandpa John and Grandma Jamie and then he got to spend about 5 hours in the car – isn’t he lucky? He was a good sport about it. Although patience isn’t something he loves to practice, I thought he was going to explode in anticipation of the gifts awaiting him at home. He managed not to explode, but was very happy to get home and tear into his presents
.
That night he picked Café Rio for dinner and he and Nate spent hours working on his new Legos. He is such a sweet six year old. We just love Benny. I honestly cannot imagine life without having that radiant smile, gigantic blue eyes framed by ridiculously long eyelashes, and bouncy body to look at each day. He is independent, but likes to check in and make sure he’s still on the radar, he is a natural protector and guardian of anyone who needs protecting or guarding. He is perceptive and coordinated and kind. It hasn’t occurred to him that he might not be able to do something. He just goes for whatever it is he’s set his mind to. He loves to be noticed and approved of. Watching him play soccer if so fun because he looks at us every few minutes with a huge grin just making sure we’re watching. He’s such a fun person to be with, we all love Benjamin George!
The very next morning he got to go with my parents on his birthday date to Home Depot for a bird feeder workshop. He was so thrilled with his bird feeder and loved having one on one time with Grandpa and Grandma.
That afternoon we had an Olympic birthday party. It turned out so well, it was really fun. We had such a darling group of boys that totally embraced our theme and activities.
Here’s the Olympic Ring Cake
We made up a country for each boy, example Ben’s was “Bennsylvania”. When they arrived we had them each decorate a little flag for their country. I was shocked how much time they spent on their cute flags, I wish I would have taken a picture of how cute they were.
Then we went outside for a very brief “Opening Ceremony” while I hummed the tune and they paraded through the yard with their flags and cute little self-conscious smiles. Then we the games began.
First we did a “discus throw”. I had a little floppy frisbee for each of them and they took turns seeing how far they could throw them. After a lot of over-the-fence retrievals and one from the roof, we wrapped that event up. I think next we did the long jump. I marked a spot on the grass for their take-off point and then we marked where they landed with their frisbee (which had their name on it). They were so cute and competitive, but were totally okay when they didn’t win the event. Then we had the “shotput” event which consisted of trying to throw a water balloon into a hula hoop we had laid on the grass. They loved that one and amazingly, except for my little nephew no one got wet.
We did a few races, and then we did where they ran and jumped on the mini-trampoline and did an awesome dismount. I loved how seriously they took themselves. My favorite was we spread a blanket out and told them this was the mat for their floor routine for gymnastics. I told them they had to stay on the blanket and could do three tricks. They really took it seriously and did some pretty awesome stuff. So, so cute. We had so much fun, time flew by.
We rushed back in for cake and ice cream and presents and just like that it was over. It was totally painless! So grateful for good weather, my sister’s major help and Anna, Abby and Nate’s help. It was really fun and a perfect way to celebrate such a cute boy that we love! We love Ben!
4 comments:
Sounds so fun! I wish I could have been there to see it! Oliver loves his medal btw. He still wears it every day. Even to bed. :)
Happy Birthday handsome boy!!
I love that it hasn't occurred to him that he can't do something! Such an amazing quality.
What an adorable little boy Ben is-- and also very lucky to get such a fun b-day party! The cake is SO cool looking.
Just noticed how in the last picture of the boys carrying their flags, Joshy is in the background dutifully "mowing" the lawn. Funny!
What a fun birthday party!!! I love it and am totally going to convince Brigham that he would love to have an Olympics party.
Post a Comment