Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Joshy’s Miracle

A few weeks ago Josh was running around after shoving a handful of nuts in his mouth.  I heard him coughing and gagging and went running for him.  I knew he wasn’t actually choking because he was obviously getting some airflow, but I could tell he was panicky and couldn’t swallow or cough himself free for a few seconds.  I got him calmed down, he stopped coughing and drank some water.  I was relieved and went about our day until, I heard a high-pitched wheeze coming from him.  It persisted for a little bit so I called my pediatrician’s office.   They said I needed to take him to the ER at our Children’s Hospital so they could determine if he had aspirated a piece of nut into his lung.  I called my sweet friend (a nurse practitioner) to ask her all the questions I forgot to ask the nurse and decided I really had to take him in.  The thought of them having to do bronchoscope made me really sad for him, but I tried not to think about it and drove to the hospital.

By the time we got there Josh had, of course, stopped wheezing.  The good news was that they got us right back, it was less crowded than I had ever seen it.  Several nurses and doctors listened to him and couldn’t hear anything.  They explained that sometimes just the coughing fit can cause inflammation and that’s why he was wheezing.   They also explained that given that they didn’t hear anything, they didn’t want to do anything more invasive (like a cat scan, I think?).   So they sent me home with instructions to come right back if we heard any more wheezing or he developed a cough.  Our copay was $200.  We were there for about 20 minutes and we paid $200.  Ugh.  I hate that that becomes a factor, but it absolutely does.  They acted like I should just pop back in if I was the least bit worried.  I was relieved that besides the $, it was a painless visit to the ER, but couldn’t help feeling like this wasn’t over.

Over the next few days I’d hear Joshy wheeze for a little bit, but then it’d stop.  He also developed a cough.  Several of my other kids had a cough too, so I didn’t know what to think.  Brennan and I decided we’d take him to our pediatrician.  I took him in and as he listened to Joshy’s chest he could hear a wheeze in one spot in his lung.  He told me that was not a good sign.  I asked if there was any way it could break down or work it’s way out and he said there wasn’t it had to be taken out with a bronchoscope.  He explained that an x-ray just wouldn’t show it since it wasn’t metal and it’s all soft tissue in his lung.  He told me it wasn’t urgent so to wait and watch over the weekend and to report back Monday morning.  Unless his cough went away we needed to call him Monday morning so he could arrange getting us in at the children’s hospital for the bronchoscope.   He told me to plan on having to do that.  I called Brennan as soon as we were out of the doctor’s office.   We were worried.  We knew it wasn’t life or death, but it would require putting him under a general anesthetic and sounded like he might be sore and kind of miserable for a few days.  We were also worried about how much it would cost since we have a really high deductible insurance plan. 

I went home with Joshy and worried.  Brennan went right to the Temple.  I emailed our families and asked them to pray for Josh and to fast with us that Sunday.  They were so sweet and supportive.  I found out later that our Elder’s Quorum Presidency announced it in their meeting on Sunday and asked all the men to pray for Josh.  Our own sweet kids prayed hard and were so concerned about their little brother.   Sunday our neighbor helped Brennan give Josh a blessing.  Brennan blessed him to be healed.  I wasn’t sure how to interpret that, I thought that it could mean that the procedure would go well and he would be fine.  Brennan was more optimistic, or should I say faithful.  He went with Josh and me on Monday to our pediatrician.  His cough had stopped, but we wanted him to listen to him again.  The doctor put his stethoscope on Josh’s little chest and listened intently for a few minutes, then said, “Who gave him a blessing?”  He told us there was no sign of any wheezing and that that wasn’t what he had expected. 

We felt so relieved and so blessed.  That night Brennan taught such a sweet Family Home Evening as he bore testimony to our kids that the Lord had intervened and we had all been part of a miracle.  He told them they needed to remember this and that if they had needs in their lives they should ask for His help.   Sweet Anna said she’d been praying to have her testimony strengthened and that she felt like this answered that as well as her prayers for Josh.  It was just a sweet, sweet night.  My kids felt something and they were definitely touched by this.  Sweet Josh remained happily oblivious to any of it, except I’m sure he wonders why we’re all so in his face whenever he’s eating anything Winking smile

I wanted to write this so we’ll have it on record for my kids, especially Josh to read someday.  Have no doubt, my kiddos, that your Dad and I love you, and that your Dad has great faith, and honors and uses his Priesthood.   Have no doubt that there is great power in prayer and fasting, especially when we combine our voices and hearts in a righteous cause.  Mostly, have no doubt that  Heavenly Father loves you and can do all things.   He watches over all of us and loves to help and lift us.  We’ll always be grateful for this miracle!

3 comments:

JoLynn Bell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JoLynn Bell said...

Andrea, love your new picture of the kids! I need it!

So glad you posted this wonderful story, Andrea. What a thrill to have been involved in the prayers and fasting. I loved reading about Brennan, and his solid faith. Quite a guy!

And what a powerful statement in your conclusion. This is strengthening not only to your kids, but to all of us. And I know completely that what you said is true. Beautiful!

Critt & Britt said...

What a sweet experience. I cried while I was reading. These small miracles are such a blessing in teaching our little ones and us big ones too. Puts it all into perspective...