Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Nashville, TN

My older brother, Braden, and I are two years apart, and always got along.  We couldn’t be more different, but we had a mutual affection and loyalty and respect for each other.  I’m sure he’s mostly responsible for that because as the oldest, he set the tone, and he always chose to include me.  Even as a very young child, he had a larger than life kind of personality.  He has always been a creative genius (I mentioned we’re opposites, right?) and made mine and my siblings’ lives rich with imaginary towns, governments, battles, and plays.  I remember once we put on a version of “A Christmas Carol” but for some reason Scrooge, played by Davis, was a potato?  Anyway, thanks in large part to Braden, and my parents for encouraging it, we had I think uniquely colorful childhoods. 

By age 15, Braden branched out from coercing and bribing his sometimes less than enthusiastic siblings and neighbors into his productions to a huge production of “Mary Poppins” with the local elementary school kids.  It was a huge success.  He went on to do two more plays, “The Wizard of Oz” and “Fiddler on the Roof” at the ripe old age of 16 and 17.   After his first one, he had the credibility he needed to have an army of moms putting his vision into scenery and costumes.  I believe “Fiddler” was sponsored by our City, and was the beginning of their summer theatre program which my own Abigail was part of last Summer. 

He became the high school drama teacher’s protégé and she was kind enough to mentor him and let him help direct some scenes for the sophomore musical revue’s etc.  In college, he studied children’s theatre and went on to NYU to get his doctorate in children’s theatre.

After graduate school he got a job at a Children’s Theatre in Nashville, TN.  A few years later he was hired by a private middle school to teach chorus and direct a Fall and Spring play.  The spring play includes some of the lower grades as well.  As my Dad says, he was born for this job.   My parents have been able to go visit and see some of his productions and raved about what Braden was able to pull off with 6th, 7th and 8th graders.  I always hated that I couldn’t see them.

A few months ago Braden’s wife, Meredith, emailed us that their daughter, Victoria, was thrilled to learn she was cast in the role of the Wicked Witch for their Spring production of “Wizard of Oz”.  Which she was extra excited about because in an effort not to play favorites, she has to be twice as good as her competition.  Anyway, Meredith mentioned anyone would be welcome and that it would be over President’s Day weekend.  I knew immediately I had to go.  I knew it would be expensive to fly there so I mentioned it to Brennan to see what he thought.  He was instantly supportive and assured me we had miles from our credit card and that I could use them and that he was willing to stay home with all the kids so I could go.  So, I went!  My parents also went which made it so easy and fun.

We got there late Friday night and got to our motel, where my parents stayed.  Braden picked me up on the way home from that night’s performance and I stayed up way too late with Braden and Meredith catching up on everything.  I slept there that night.  Sat. we woke up and hung out, Mom and Dad came over and we played games with my nephews, Zach and Jeff, who are roughly Nate and Ben’s ages.  That afternoon we loaded up and drove to the school for the play.  Meredith showed me and her mom around the incredible school.  It’s an old red brick school that’s happy,  charming and beautiful.  The library was my favorite, evidently the building had been a church and where the library is used to the be the sanctuary.  I thought that was so appropriate. 

After the tour we settled into our seats and the show began. 

I know this is blurry, but it still shows a good look at the Oz set.  The specks are bubbles.  Oh and if you look closely, Todo is a real dog.

100_2556

This too is blurry, but gives you a feel for the 160 cast members.100_2561

 

Glenda and Victoria taking their bows.100_2562

I took a bunch of video, but all of the really cool scenes that Victoria was in are super dark and you kind of can’t see anything.  So sad!  Trust me though, there were some amazing effects.  Victoria shot flames out several times.  During the tornado, we see Mrs. Gulch come out and then she gets wrapped into this billowing black cloth and then comes out as the witch, green face and all!  When she melted, that was amazing!  She was on top of this big box, but we could see inside the box and somehow, she melted down into the box unseen with fog coming out.  SO COOL! 

Braden and my proud Mom who happened to be blinking Smile

 

100_2567

 

Braden and Meredith’s two oldest, David and Spencer100_2568

their two youngest, Zach and Jeff100_2570

Victoria and her friends.

100_2574

 

Braden, Meredith and Me.

100_2576

The play was incredible!  After that we picked up some Tennessee BBQ and went back to Braden and Mere’s to eat.  They live in the country, and it’s just the most beautiful rolling hills covered with woods.  I wish I could see it in a month or two or in the Fall.

Sunday we joined them for church and got to see their ward and meet so many of the people who have become family to them.  We had a yummy dinner at their home afterwards and just enjoyed visiting with all of them.  There can’t exist a sweeter family.  It meant so much to me to see Braden do what he was born to do, and see what an impact he’s having at his school and in their community.  Meredith is so cheerful and is either chatting and laughing with her three teenagers or outside playing football or baseball with her two little boys.  I’m so grateful for her example of motherhood and womanhood.  Two of their kids spoke in church and three of them sang with the youth.   They’re beautiful, good kids.  It breaks my heart my kids don’t get to be around them very much at all.  But at least now I have seen with  my own two eyes how happy and beautiful and good their lives are.  Thank you so much for having us, Braden and Mere!  We love you and are so proud of you!  Thank you, Mom and Dad for letting me tag along and making the journey so pleasant.  Oh how I missed my own little family.  Thank you, Brennan for making it all possible and for the fact that house was cleaner than I left it!    I feel like I’m writing in yearbooks, so let me end with stay cool and URAQT!

5 comments:

Shauna said...

Wow, what a special trip. How great to be able to go and enjoy your brothers family. They sound like an awesome family and your brother's play looks amazing.

Mere said...

Gosh! What a sweet account of our weekend. We LOVED having you here and miss you already. Come back soon!

Braden Bell said...

Ange, that was so sweet! That made my week. Thanks for coming and being with us. I'm sorry it was such a crazy busy weekend, but we loved having you.

Macy said...

Looks like a fun trip. Wish we could have all seen the play. Looks amazing!

Eliza said...

Loved reading this, that was seriously a very interesting run down and background story of Braden and his sweet family and your visit. Wish I could have seen it, sounds amazing.