Saturday, July 10, 2010

Happy Birthday to Squash! – July 6th.

IMG_1390

Our baby turned 1!  (I’m trying to be excited about this, really I am.)  I took him to his well check a few days ago and the doctor confirmed something we’ve suspected for some time now – he’s short and fat.  He’s in the 76th percentile for weight and 25th for height (85th in head circumference – we attribute his large headedness to brilliance).  My sister mentioned it’s too bad they don’t measure width, because he’d win that contest for sure.  

IMG_1388

This last year has been quite a year.  This little bubby came into our lives in a flurry of craziness.    The day he was born Ben broke his leg, two days later Brennan played in the State Golf Amatuer.  He had jaundice and had to be in his Superman pod constantly for like 3 days plus I had to take him in every day for a bilirubin count (which involved pricking his heel).   Then for the next few months he didn’t grow fast enough so I had to supplement his feedings and take him in every few days to be weighed.  Brennan and I felt kind of  emotionally ransacked. 

100_0826

Thinking back to all of that the thing that anchored me in spite of all of those things that had me really stressed out, was him.  I’d hold him and although he was even kind of a fussy babe, he was also magically both energizing and calming for me.  There was something about his big baby soul that transcended all of the baby craziness.    I feel like there’s something wise in those dark blue eyes.  He’s always so quick to smile and he’s always had the good sense to adore his mama, which I don’t hate.   I think I’ve said it before, but there’s something really amazing about someone squealing with excitement when you walk into the room that makes you feel reeeeeeeally good.  I’ll be honest, it doesn’t happen to me as much as you’d think ;).

IMG_2416

 

For Joshy’s birthday we had our wonderful friends, the Beechers, staying with us.  So our family and their family had cake and ice cream and he opened a few little presents. 

100_1276

He kind of wasn’t sure about the whole cake thing, but something tells me he’ll come around.  We cannot imagine life without our Squash.  We feel extremely blessed to be able to call him ours and have vowed to make this next year slow down a bit.  We love Joshua!

10 comments:

Eliza said...

Oh man, I cannot believe that little baby is now the chub a lub that I love, unreal how old old and big he is now. I honestly teared up in your perfect description of how wise and sweet and happy he is and how me made you feel, that is so true. There really is something so special about him that just honestly makes me so simply happy. Happy Birthday Chub a lub, you light up my life!

Braden Bell said...

Happy birthday big guy! give him a hug for me.

Sara said...

Happy birthday cute Joshy boy!!!

How lucky you are that he squeals for you.

Mallory Bell said...

oh he is such a cutie! Happy Birthday sweet boy! I already miss you guys!

Shauna said...

He is so adorable! Wow, did you make the cake it's darling.

Jo said...

Wonderful b-day post, Ange. He IS so darned smiley and just adorable. So thankful to have him!

Brynn said...

You are such a good sweet Mom. They are all so lucky to have you!
I LOVE the cake. It is darling! Joshy is just as darling and lovable. Wish I lived closer so I could get some of Joshy's baby love! Happy Birthday Joshua!

Grandma W said...

Happy Birthday, Josh. I can't believe you are a year old already.......Love you

Natalie said...

I love the name Squash and he is adorable! Happy Birthday to him. That cake is awesome!!

Mandolin said...

Yes, it is hard to believe the first year is over. Sad and good all at the same time. That first year is full of hard days, but it's also sad to see the baby days go. I feel your pain for sure. Bevan's baby days are gone for sure. Darling cake!