Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Graduation, Parties and Plays – Oh my!

The last few weeks of school get a tiny bit out of control.  There are programs, parties, fieldtrips galore.  The kids all had so much fun celebrating the end of a great school year.  Brennan escorted Abby on a field trip out to a little island in a nearby lake where they basically got eaten alive by bugs – good times!  Nate had a little art gallery where Brennan and I got to go see all the art projects they’ve done throughout the year.  They study artists and then do projects like the artist, for instance when they study Michelangelo they tape a paper up on the bottom of their desk and then lay on the floor to create a Sistine Chapelesque masterpiece.  Pretty cool.

The biggie this year was our little 6th grader.  They got to go to a nearby public pool for a day, had a big 6th grade water fight another day, and got to go see “How To Train Your Dragon”.   Then the big graduation day.  In my cluelessness and busyness I just sort of didn’t prepare myself for what a big deal this would be.  I think I wrote about how Anna was selected to read her essay.  Well I thought she was going to read it for her class (her teacher had all the parents come to their classroom before graduation to show us some of their projects throughout the year). I was wrong, she and three other students read it in the actual graduation program.  We were so proud of her, she did so well.  They had to have her step in front of the podium because she’s so short no one could see her behind it.  Here’s a blurry video (my zoom in terrible!) of most of her speech.

Here’s Anna and some of her best friends:

Chloe, Anna (and Chubs), Sadie and KayceeIMG_2300

 

Anna and her amazing teacher, Mrs. Reed.

IMG_2304

The sixth graders got to go home right after graduation at 10:30 so I took these two to lunch.

IMG_2306

That afternoon at 4 Anna had a little graduation party with some of her friends.  I took them to our favorite park where they had a water fight and then we grabbed some pizza and headed home to watch Napolean Dynamite.  Each of the girls brought an ice cream topping for sundaes.  After dessert and the movie they played night games.  It was great, they’re such cute easy girls and they always have fun.  Poor little Anna woke up that morning with a cold and sore throat so she was kind of miserable but still managed to enjoy her big day.

3 comments:

Ryan@dontdodumbthings.com said...

Wow, crazy how busy things get right about now, huh? That is really cool that Anna got to read her essay in the ceremony. Can't believe she's headed to Junior High. (And I had no idea she was short.)

Jo said...

Yes, that picture with her friends does show what a "thrimp" she is. What a bright, girl, so expressive of her love for everyone. The essay sounded great, and how nice that she gave such kudos to her teacher.

Eliza said...

cute girl, I cannot believe she will be entering the doors of junior high. Ca-razy! your such a fun mom the graduation lunch, waterfight, pizza, movie thing sounds like so much fun.