Thursday, May 6, 2010

Mom

I love my Mom. She is one of my favorite people to be with and to talk to. She has a magic ability of listening to me and without saying very much makes me feel completely listened to and understood as well as motivated and confident I can do so much better.

IMG_2115

She’s so complimentary and positive without being an enabler. A few weeks ago we went to their house for a Sunday dinner and she told me about a conversation she’d had with a man in my neighborhood who said some nice things about me and my family. A few minutes later I found a sticky note on her kitchen counter with some key words of what he had said about us. She had written herself a note to be sure she passed them on. Isn’t that just the cutest thing ever?

IMG_1823

I’m really proud of her. She detests the spotlight. You might find that hard to believe if you know me or any of my siblings :) but it’s true. My Dad’s job has made avoiding the spotlight pretty hard for her and she’s been an unbelievably good sport about it and has done a beautiful job whenever she’s had to.

I realize this picture is kind of weird, I think one of my little people took it thus the weird angle. I love it though because I think my Mom looks so beautiful and I love the way she’s looking at my Dad.

IMG_1564

She’s very talented. Since emptying her nest she’s busied herself with much service, and learning and developing many talents. She takes tennis and painting lessons and through the years has taken gardening classes, piano lessons etc. For Christmas this last year in spite of a hectic schedule decided to do homemade gifts. I blogged about the painting she gave all of her children that we treasure. But, I’m not sure I mentioned the foam blocks she made for the grandkids that she spent countless hours on. She ordered I think 30 squares of foam and then sewed covers for each one of them. It took forever, but every time we’re at their house the kids spend hours playing, building, throwing, hiding, jumping with or on these fabulous blocks.

IMG_2146

IMG_2147

IMG_2157

I could literally go on and on, but I better follow her example and go be productive. I just wanted to put on record a few of the things I love and admire about my Mom. Happy Mother’s Day, Mom! We love you!!!

8 comments:

Eliza said...

Wow, so sweet and so true. Man, I want to be like her, dang it she is kind of perfect isn't she? I love all your pictures, they so capture her, surrounded by grandkids and just emanating love. what a wonderful woman, so glad she's my mom too! beautiful tribute!
btw, love that brennan is in the background wearing shorts when the kids are literally wearing snow hats huddled around a fire.

Shauna said...

First of all, I am amazed by the blocks!! What kind words about your mom. She seems like such a wonderful person.

Macy said...

So true. Happy Mother's Day , JoLynn!

Jo said...

Wow Andrea-- what a sweet surprise! Thanks for your beautiful words and sentiments. I'm so touched!

Sara said...

She's an amazing women!
Happy mothers day to you and your mom!

Greg said...

I underscore, underline, emphasize, corroborate, and confirm that everything you said is true. What an amazing person she is.

Natalie said...

I love your parents!!! They are amazing people. Beautiful post. OK those blocks have to be the best fort-makers EVER!

Thanks for your comment on my blog! That book was so worthwhile. (Some said it was slow going at first - the windmill part doesn't start until about p. 150, but the rest lays the foundation and I loved it.)

Critt & Britt said...

That is so sweet and so true about your mother. She really is one incredible lady.