Friday, January 8, 2010

The Adventures of Benjamin George

I need to do an update, but there are several stories I have to record about this guy:





Monday night it was Nate's turn to be in charge of our game for FHE. We played a xylophone version of Name that Tune. Ben doesn't quite get the whole rotation of family night responsibilities and always wants to be in charge of game so we usually squeeze a quick Benny game in each week too. Monday night was no exception. After playing Nate's game, Ben told us to wait for a minute while he went to find some totally awesome game. He game back in a few minutes with a shoebox containing some Phase 10 cards. The week before that we had played spoons so he was clearly inspired by that as he sat down and told us to sit in a circle. Then he explained that someone would "shef" the cards (we're pretty sure he meant shuffle, but he kept saying shef and it was killing me) and we would each get 3 and then we would grab a spoon. He ran and got some spoons and spread them out. We all grabbed some cards and then a spoon and started cheering. He was delighted.

The next day after the kids got home from school I told them I was going to go try to take a nap while Joshy slept. Ben came running up to me asking if he could please be in charge. I told him and the other kids that yes Ben could be in charge. He started jumping up and down with his arms in the air. I told him that Anna needed to do her homework and then when the timer rang she needed to get ready for ballet. A few minutes later he came into my room and said, "Mom, Abby said she doesn't have homework." I said, "Right, she doesn't because she was sick today so just Anna has to do hers." "Okay." A few minutes later he came in again and said, "Mom, does Abby have ballet too?" Usually Abby does have ballet before Anna, but she was sick. "No, she's sick so she's not going." "Okay." I'm seriously considering turning things completely over to him. Pretty sure he's more on top of things than I am. Although Anna told me later that while at first he was riding her pretty hard to get her homework done he later offered to let her off the hook if she would play with him.

Wednesday I was trying to get ready to go shopping, Joshua was still asleep so I decided to expedite things and pump so he could drink a bottle in the car. As I was pumping Ben came in and said something about popcorn. "You want me to make you some popcorn?" "No, I did." "WHAT? You put popcorn in the microwave?" "Yeah". "Uh, did you take the plastic off?" "Yeah, I used scissors and cut it off and I remembered what button to push." As soon as I could, I ran into the kitchen to investigate. Sure enough there was a bag of popcorn popping in the microwave. Unfortunately he didn't push the popcorn button and must have set it for 4 or 5 minutes because it was very burnt. I don't know why I'm always surprised that this child just takes matters into his own hands. It was especially funny when my almost 9 year old asked me how to microwave popcorn later that day. We love Ben.

9 comments:

Rebecca said...

he is so smart! thats hilarious about driving a bargain with anna and her homework. i'm kinda blown away that ben would even have the slightest idea of how to pop popcorn.

Greg said...

Fascinating stories about that sweet boy. One in a million. Great post.

Macy said...

So funny. He is so dang on top of it. I have always loved that in a kid...that is why my ones that aren't like that I have a bit of a hard time dealing with sometimes.

Eliza said...

unbelievable! so funny about his willingness to negotiate with anna. what a crack up.

christian@dontdodumbthings.com said...

holy cow, he is so so funny. i love that boy.

Jo said...

I agree with all the other comments. He is an AMAZING guy. Wow. I can't wait to see the things he'll be capable of when he's 5!

Shauna said...

So cute that the grabbing of the spoons and cheering satisfied him. Very sweet stories.

Joey, Amber, Ken , Ellie, Bruce and Patrick said...

I love the Ben stories- he is such a cutie! Glad to see your family doing well!

Ryan@dontdodumbthings.com said...

So funny, Ange. He's not only smart, he's very resourceful. I love picturing him cutting the wrapper off the popcorn with scissors and sticking it in the microwave. Awesome guy.