Tonight was a rough one for Anna. She has been dealing with some really hard things for a while. Sometimes it doesn't seem like a big deal and then sometimes it seems insurmountable. Recently it's felt more like the insurmountable variety. So tonight she was in tears and discouraged and hopeless. These are the times as parents we feel like we're sitting in the pilot seat when it suddenly dawns on us we forgot to take flying lessons. We tried several different approaches ranging from sympathetic and patient to tough love. Nothing seemed to help. Finally I went downstairs to tuck her into bed again. She asked me some very thoughtful, very difficult questions. At one point I unintentionally and emotionally revealed how much faith it took for me to watch her have to deal with this and that I had to trust that the Lord had a plan for all of us and would help us through it. We talked for a while and I watched her countenance change from sad and hopeless to courageous and light.
I'm beginning to understand that as my children get older, their problems will get more complicated. I'll long for the days when I could scoop them up and with a binkie and a blankie rock them to sleep and far away from their troubles. I hope I'll always remember tonight's lesson: that although Tylenol and band-aids will lose their magic, showing them I love them won't.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
wow, ange, that is really sweet. I'm sorry its been tough lately. I feel so blessed to have older siblings that I can learn from, thanks for the valuable lesson.
Very thoughtful, Ange. I hope things work out for sweet Anna.
so sweet Ange. What a good mom you are. So communicative, talking them through things so well. That will definitely be a strength for them.
plus, you have the advantage of knowing what is plaguing them. we've come a long way, even in the short time since we were kids. they will be ok.
Ange, you are such a great mom. It breaks my heart to know that she struggles in this way. You're in our prayers!
What a sweet anecdote--so tender and loving. I love that Anna's outlook totally changed. Beautiful!
Oh, that makes me sad. The thought of kids i love being sad just breaks my heart. That's going to be very hard for me once I have older kids. You're one of the greatest moms I know.
Oh, Ange. How sweetly done and tenderly told. It is a hard, hard thing, this parenting job. But you and Brenn are so wise and patient, and especially you are so loving. I am so grateful for you both.
Thank you all for your sweet comments and words of support.
Post a Comment