Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Andrea Finally Goes to Europe, Brennan’s Golf Adventure

April 14-15, 2014

As I mentioned Brennan left us Monday morning and as we headed to England, he flew into Scotland.  I think he flew into Edinburgh, Scotland where he rented a car and drove up to St. Andrews.  Apparently, if you are any kind of golf enthusiast, you know all about St. Andrews.  Well, evidently, to play it is worth all kinds of trouble Winking smile.   I need to ask him the details, but if I recall correctly, as I said he flew in to Edinburgh where he rented a car and drove a couple of hours to St. Andrews.  We planned this trip so quickly, he had called ahead to find out what his chances were of getting on.  Fortunately because he was alone, there was a shot.  He would have to be there at 5 am and wait in line, then if there was a group less than a threesome, they could decide whether or not to let him join them.  He was worried that since he had to rent clubs he would look like a hack and no one would let him play with them.  He got to St. Andrews around 9 or 10 pm, I believe where he “slept” in his tiny rental car and nearly froze (about 30 degrees)  to death about 20 yards from the first tee.  I’m not sure what the biggest factor in not sleeping was, the cold, the discomfort or the anticipation.  He got in line at 3:45 am and teed off at 7:20 and in his own words, “well worth it!”  He ended up playing with two guys from Philadelphia, wealthy soccer Dad’s there for a soccer tournament for their kids.  They were impressed and a little more than surprised by this unassuming, janitorial salesman from Utah with rented clubs.  I love that.   He had a great game checking off yet another “once in a lifetime opportunity”. 
Living the dream at St. Andrew’s Golf Course
CAM00056
After a long, but amazing day and a sleepless night, he started the drive to London.  We had planned to meet up with him Wednesday morning, perhaps in the Cotswolds, but he decided to keep going and drive straight through to London Tuesday night.  As I mentioned in my last post, it was kind of a harrowing journey.  It actually went fairly smoothly until he hit London and had no idea how to get to Davis’s.  He made it eventually though and it was so good to be together again.  He was thrilled with his little detour.

No comments: