Sometime ago my brother linked to a fascinating article. Check it out. I highly recommend it, specifically the last part of the article. It cites a study that shows that having new experiences with your spouse is linked to happy marriages. As Brennan and I are realizing that our kids are growing up terrifyingly fast, we’ve realized how important it is to have something left of ourselves and our marriage when the kids leave the nest. We’ve been pretty good about trying to have date nights, but had kind of gotten in a rut about doing the same old thing week after week. We decided it was time to mix it up a little and decided to take turns planning something out of the norm. It doesn’t have to be anything major, but just something we haven’t done 41,000 times. One week we went to a battle of the bands that a neighbor boy was in. We felt a tiny bit out of place amidst the hip and happening single people dominating the scene, but had a great time. Another time, we went for a short, but beautiful hike up a nearby canyon and then chatted over a shake. My Mom and Dad gave us a groupon to a place that has a sky diving simulator, I Fly, and I was really terrified, but we did it and had SO MUCH FUN. Last week Brennan surprised me with Josh Groban tickets and we had such a great time at the fantastic concert. Anyway, it’s been so much fun and completely reinforces the fact that I married the right man for me. We have so much fun together and I can’t wait to keep dating him for a very long time.
I’m not the only one who loves him. I have so many parents tell me how much their sons love Brennan as their Young Mens’ leader. He loves them which is good, because these youth leaders really devote a stunning amount of time to these kids. One of his boys brought this thank you note by:
I thought that was the cutest note and it meant so much to Bren. He loves these boys. He found out recently that one of them had never been to the ocean and everyday he talks about how he could get him there. There’s something really beautiful about the fact that he’s able to be such a great influence on these boys because he had some leaders really take him under their wing and have a huge impact on him. We love Brennan.
3 comments:
What a touching note from his young man, and what a sweet post from you. Brennan really is a great one, and I'm so happy that he and you are so happy.
Great idea to have variety in your dates. Sounds downright revitalizing!
Such a great note! Brennan is perfect for the job. Full of love, a strong testimony and lots of fun!
Also thanks for the inspiration to maybe not go to cafe rio and the redbox for our next date night...I'll work on venturing out. Sounds fun.
But the skydiving thing?! You're brave.
I love "Brother Freaking Wright" So cute and funny. Wow, what a compliment to Brennan. I have thought about your date idea and we are going to try to do it too.
Post a Comment