The kids got out of school a week ago. Last week I sort of gave them the week off, no chores, no real structure at all. I gotta be honest it was rough for me. I don’t do well with rigid schedules, I think I’m always way more ready for school to be out than my kids are, but the other extreme is NOT good either. I’m determined to find that happy medium this Summer. I feel strongly that my kids need freedom, they need to be creative and resourceful and to exert physically. Don’t get me wrong, I also think they need to work and help around the house, but I believe summers should be magic and wonderful and the fun should outweigh the not so fun.
I worked all morning to come up with my kids’ summer chores and a routine and some rules to reflect that balance. Here’s what I came up with:
9:00 am – get up, responsible for your own breakfast, clean up after yourself
9:30 am – chores (which should only take no more than 30 minutes, but I’m giving lots more time.)
11:00 am – read
11:30 am – FREEDOM!!!
Prize each week for kids who have chores done by 11 am all week.
No friends til chores are done and not before 11:30 am
No tv until 4 pm
Thursdays – no friends, cousin camp!
Guess what? When we called the kids together to present this to them. I got as far as have to get up by 9:00 am and eat breakfast right way when the wailing began.
They were offended that I am dictating when they have to eat breakfast.
There were even tears and accusations of making their summer like military school.
I know that we’re supposed to validate all of their feelings, I know we’ve probably scarred them for life -- but Brennan and I cracked up laughing, loudly, right in front of them. Military school? Really?
3 comments:
That looked like a great schedule to me. Hilarious that the kids think it resembles military school!
I'm so impressed. will you please come up with a schedule for me and then one for my kids? so funny about military school.
That is awesome! Instead of Supernanny, you are Supermom. Dane gets out of school next week and I am making a day schedule-i.e. Monday-pool day, tuesday-$1 movie day, Wednesday-field trip day, etc. You inspired me to take it the next level like you and break it down by the hour. Impressive Sergeant Wright, impressive! Can't wait to hear all the whining stories. Good thing you are army strong!
Post a Comment