Tuesday, March 15, 2011

“But If Ye Are Prepared, Ye Shall Not Fear”

Last week we heard there was a man who made 3 kidnapping attempts in nearby neighborhoods.   All boys.  The same day I let my boys go to the park with some friends without me.   Nice.   My poor kids, mostly Abby and Nate, are kind of obsessed with this kidnapper.  Ben doesn’t seem to be too concerned and Anna is ok, but definitely a little creeped out.  Ben and Joshy are happily ignorant.

Last night for Family Home Evening I decided this was a good opportunity to review our safety rules/tips.  I started by having them read D&C 38:30 “But if ye are prepared, ye shall not fear.” and explained to them that after tonight, they would be armed with all the knowledge they needed, and that since they were prepared there was no need to fear.  We went over all the scenarios I could think of and talked about what the best thing to do would be in each one.  We even acted several out and then I had each of them practice yelling and screaming while I pretended to try and pull them away.  They loved that.  Joshua was fascinated by that whole scene and insisted on several turns.  He’d hold my hand and then scream, “HEP!”  It was so cute but kind of broke my heart he was completely unaware of the concept of fear and danger and evil.  My big 3 kids are totally aware, even in their sheltered, safe little life they feel fear all the time.  The contrast between them and the two little boys was stark and sad.  It also broke my heart that all too soon, those two will come to understand those concepts.  I hate that.

Poor little Abby just stared at me the whole time with pure terror in her eyes.  There hasn’t been a second since Friday night when she heard about it that she hasn’t worried about it.  Nate has talked about it a lot, but hasn’t seemed all that worried, still playing outside etc, but last night he broke down when he was going to bed.  He had come into our room the Sat. and Sun. nights after having bad dreams.  He told me last night his nightmares were about the kidnapper.  Clearly, he’s been terrified too, but wants to be brave.  It was gut-wrenching. 

I hate that my kids are so scared and that until they know this man is in jail, there’s not much I can do or say that will relieve their fear.   Abby was trying to understand why this man would want to kidnap.  She asked me if I thought he just wasn’t able to have kids and so he wanted to steal one to have.  She wondered why he didn’t just adopt a little boy.   All I had the heart to tell her was that someone who would stoop to kidnapping didn’t deserve to be able to adopt a child.   What a sad, sad world.

6 comments:

Shauna said...

It's such a fine line between talking to and preparing your kids and completely terrifying them. They need to know but it is hard to make it light and fun.

Rebecca said...

I've heard about the kidnapping attempts there and it's freaked me out. I had a long talk and role-play with Oliver. I'm with Abby, though, I just dont' understand why someone would want to kidnap kids. SOOOO sad.

Eliza said...

oh that is heartbreaking from their perspective. ugh I hate that we have to teach them this.

Jo said...

Sweet, naive little Abby. So poignant and sad. Awful people!

Jo said...

BTW, what a great scripture/principle to teach!

Shannon said...

Thanks Andrea! I stole your idea and we did the same thing for our famiy night last night. The approach with the scripture is perfect. Thanks for the idea!