What a day, what a day. It started with reminding Anna somewhere between 44 and 63 times to grab her teacher gift and card, loading all 5 kids into the car for carpool, realizing I forgot Ben's beep (pacifier, yes he still has it and no he can't drive for 1 1/2 miles without it), coming in to find the beep and seeing Anna's teacher gift and card on the counter. Sigh.
Benny, Joshy and I then enjoyed a few quiet hours where I was going to get all kinds of things done but somehow managed to get almost nothing done besides feeding, bathing, changing, nursing Joshua. Kids get out early on Fridays, so before we knew it it was time to pick them up. We ran to Smith's first to get more eggs so Anna could make cookies for her friend's cookie exchange party. Picked up kids on the way home from grocery store then came home and helped Anna get started on cookie dough. I had to run Abby to her friend's house so I left Anna in charge of Ben and Nate and told her to finish the dough by adding 5 cups of flour. Joshua and I ran Abby to Paige's and came home to find Anna trying to mix dough that was much too thick and flourery. Dumped dough in the garbage and started over. Finally got dough done, and into the cookie press then into the oven. Finished cookies and ran Anna and her friend to their party. Came home to get more done, managed to sort of clean out the car and pack Nate for his overnighter with his cousin.
5:10 Pump. Anna walks in from party, load her, Nate, Ben and Joshua in the car and go pick up Abby. Swing by Arby's for kids' dinner. Drive to our nearby "big" city (while using my double jointed arm to reach back and feed Joshy his bottle) to meet my brother to hand Nate off for Rex's birthday party. Drive to sister's house to drop off girls to watch her kids, drive home.
6:45, get home, greet Brennan, feed Joshua baby food, get him ready for bed, nurse him while Ben sits with us to stroke my hair.
8:00, all is quiet, Brennan laying with Ben, Joshua asleep, Anna and Abby not home yet, Nate at Rex's. I start organizing choir folders for tomorrow's rehearsal.
9:00, girls come home, get ready for bed in a flash, okay that was wishful thinking, really it took 45 minutes.
10:00, finish folders, start cleaning the kitchen.
10:30 sitting at the computer wondering why on earth I felt compelled to write this rather than just going to bed. I guess sometimes I just need to see what I do all day because based on what I have to show for today: a batch of cookie dough in the garbage, laundry still unfolded, messes as far as the eye can see, memories of impatient things I said to the kids all day, and about 4 days' worth of stuff to do tomorrow -- I think I should fire myself or at the very least force myself to resign :).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
I'm starting to think, more and more, that a huge part of what we are meant to do in life is just get better and better at doing these every day things with more discipline and patience. I feel the same way you did at the end of so many days. I was so undisciplined and should have been more patient with Oliver, and each night I vow to do better the next day. But I often don't do better the next day, and it seems like it shouldn't be so difficult.
wow! what a day ange. I feel so bad you had to haul nate into your "big" city on top of all that. What a stage and a life you have going on. Impressive that you always keep above water and keep moving with a nursing baby in tow. These Christmas days are so crazy.
wow. I think you are amazing, so much to keep track of and do, I really don't think I'll be very good at that, can you take on my kids and responsibilities too? (oh wait, you already do. ;)
Yikes, that is just so intimidating. I can't believe all you guys are able to accomplish with all the dead weight moms drag around.
The result is not the handful of discrete annoyances, nor the impatient things you say. The result is kids knowing, over the long haul, how much you love and sacrifice for them.
I hear your, sister. Unfortunately, that sounds all too familiar to me. That sounds like most days for me. Better luck tomorrow.
I love the idea of writing down everything we do because sometimes at the end of the day there is nothing to show for a day of hard work. You are awesome and your kids are lucky.
LOL Lize. Ange, I do remember those days, and I think you're smart to record them so that you can have some idea of where all the time went.
I can tell you for sure that though there aren't a lot of visible signs of your work, and even if you are sometimes impatient (who wouldn't be?)you are doing what really matters, and it's making a difference. I guess I'm basically re-stating Ryan's comment, which I should never do because he says things so well. Anyway, hear hear.
BTW, I'm, so glad your double joints are coming in handy. LOL! And I do hope you'll reconsider forcing yourself to resign. Funny!
wow, glad I read this to find out how tough your day was....good job your a wonderful mother.
I'm afraid to ask you right now just what you do in your "spare" time.
Post a Comment