Monday, May 12, 2014

Strength, Part III

So, after part II, you know where I’m coming from.   This has been a really, really slow process.   When Brennan’s blessing said that the desires of my heart would be given me, I was so happy.  I am interpreting that to mean, that I can finally make some actual physical progress towards being physically healthy and strong.  I know that it to do that really just takes eating well and exercising right?  So what’s the big deal?  Well, just that I can’t seem to make myself do those things.  I hate getting up early, I really don’t love exercising and I really do love sweets and bread.  I can do those things, for a while. 

After that blessing I was so happy and I knew the next step was to get guidance on how to do it.  I didn’t want to rely on the arm of flesh, I didn’t want to just jump in without help, without the enabling power of the Atonement.  I prayed and prayed to know how to go about it.  I tried forcing myself to exercise, trying different things, I also tried to eat better.  Somedays I did pretty well, and then somedays I didn’t.  So, I kept praying.  One day I was on Facebook and saw a link to a food blog that I never read, but I guess at some point I “liked” them on Fb.  The title of the post caught my attention immediately:

http://www.ourbestbites.com/2014/03/real-life-health-and-weight-loss/

I read it and I knew this was my answer, this was what I had been waiting for, my guidance. The co-author of the blog shared her weight loss story.  She had had a few kids and found herself significantly overweight.  She met a trainer and started weight training and watching her calorie intake with an app called My Fitness Pal.  That’s it!    Her approach was structured, but very doable and moderate.  It was perfect!  I knew this was my answer because it was strength training, and Strength is my word!  So, I went to the gym down the street and joined up.  I decided I could drag myself out of bed at 6:30, and then be home in time to get the boys off to school.  Even when Brennan has to leave early, I can still go, cause the big kids can watch Josh for me til I get back.  I met a trainer there and explained the post I had read to her and she said she had had a similar experience.  I agreed to meet with her once a week.  Then, I emailed a bunch of friends and told them when I would be going to the gym each morning and forwarded them the inspiring post and just flat out asked if anyone wanted to join me?  Someone did!  My friend, Jamie, wrote me immediately saying, “how did you know this is exactly what I’ve been wanting to do?”  I work so much better when I can be social. 

My answers were coming!  The Lord is so kind, the answers didn’t come overnight, I had to be patient, but they came!  After waiting for guidance for a few weeks, in a few days I had a plan, a trainer and a partner!  My first day with the trainer, Heidi, was hard.  I was excited but she pushed me hard!  As I drove home, I started to feel sick.  I crawled into the house and basically curled up into the fetal position for the rest of the day trying really hard not to throw up.  I felt a little discouraged, I have to be able to function!  After the nausea finally subsided that first day, I just had the little problem of not being able to move without extreme pain for several days!  The next time I met with her, I told her how sick I got so she eased up a bit, and I was fine til the last set of weights, and suddenly I felt sick again.  Sigh.  It didn’t last as long, but I was getting a bit discouraged.  Heidi told me to eat before I came and to use a protein powder for a recovery drink after my workouts.   Those were the only times I felt sick!  I still get sore, but I like that.  Jamie goes with me on the days I don’t workout with Heidi and we have learned so much together and it has been so much fun to have a friend to encouraging me, she is literally an answer to prayer!

Because of my fabulous trip, which I need to write about, we have only been really doing this for a few weeks, and I haven’t yet gotten in the swing of tracking food consistently.  That’s my next big goal!  I have a long way to go and am just getting started, but that feels so good! 

Technorati Tags:

No comments: