Monday, October 8, 2012

Columbus Day

I’ve never gone too far out of my way to celebrate Columbus Day, but then again I’ve certainly never avoided celebrating anything.  When given the chance to party – I’m in.  My parents both had Columbus Day off of work so they were dying to get out and do something.  I had to break it to them that the kids were still in school, but that didn’t deter them.  They invited everyone who could to meet them at this beautiful little nature preserve just 15 minutes from our house.  My family and my Sister and her kids were available, so right after school we all met up for a fantastic outing.
My Dad, Nate and Abby
Ipad pics 064
My parents brought their canoe, which we haven’t used for years.  My kids were apprehensive at first, but then every one of them fell madly in love with the serene, scenic rides around the perfect-sized pond.  Abby decided that jet skis and motorboats were not for her, canoes on a little pond are just the right fit for her.  Anna even ventured out by herself, I’m sure having romantic thoughts of Gilbert Blythe rescuing Anne Shirley from her “Lady of Shallot” mishap. 
IMG_0040
We brought a picnic dinner and had such a wonderful time feeding ducks, riding in the canoe, wandering around the beautiful trails and enjoying some of our favorite people’s company.  It was a definite highlight, and hopefully a new tradition!
IMG_0038

I walked away for 2 minutes and this is best they came up with for life-jacket distribution Winking smile
Ipad pics 066

2 comments:

Eliza said...

So much fun. That last picture cracks me up.

JoLynn Bell said...

Some beautiful shots, as well as the hilarious life jacket mis-match. LOl! What a delightful outing.